DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Athletics Scouting Videos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/120794-athletics-scouting-videos.html)

William Velasquez May 2nd, 2008 02:17 PM

Athletics Scouting Videos

Anyone do these type of videos for athletics/coaches?

I would like to see some examples how these are done since I never done them myself but I'm interested in learning the style, requirements etc... what to tape and what to avoid. etc. If anyone has experience please share the info ;)

Even better examples would be great too!

Thanks!

--William

David Stoneburner May 5th, 2008 08:01 AM

I did 2 videos for a golfer. So I'm not sure how much help this is, but it was a while ago. Basically, I shot him from different angles hitting the ball with the clubs that he wanted to show. Then I did an interview with him on camera giving a brief introduction to himself. The edited piece had a title, a couple of information screens with awards, both athletic and academic, his intro, and then the various shots with a title before each section. It ended with his contact information. I think it's best to find out what they want and then try to give it to them. Good luck.

William Velasquez May 5th, 2008 09:22 AM

Thanks David for your reply and suggestions, I appreciated.

Do you happen to have the video online so I can see it?

--William

David Stoneburner May 5th, 2008 09:55 AM

Sorry,
I did so long ago, I don't even think I have a copy. To tell you how long, I edited with Premiere 5.1 and put it on a CD, as DVD burning was still pretty expensive.

Lloyd Coleman May 5th, 2008 11:11 AM

I have done several for high school football players looking to play at the college level. After talking to a couple of college recruiters this is what I did:

Menu - page showing picture of player with name, position and jersey number along with stats they thought were important such as height, weight, 40 speed, team captain, gpa, etc. - then menu buttons for:

Highlights - 20 or so plays showing the best plays or skills of the player. If the player was hard to pick out from the field I would put a circle or arrow pointing him out at the start of the play so he could easily be identified.

Full Game - all the recruiters wanted a full game to see how the player looked in actual play, not just highlights.

We were filming from the sideline as well as the press box. Although the sideline veiw is often more exciting and dramatic, the upper view from the press box shows how the plays develop and how the players interacts with the rest of the players better and so we used that view most often.

I don't have a sample posted anywhere, but some guys that I know who are doing something similar have a sample posted here
www.gothighlights.com
look at the menu at the top and click on Athlete Recruit DVD.

By the way, their prices are extremely low, so don't be put off by that. When I did them my prices were generallly higher, ranging from $200 - $1,000. I already had footage for most of the boys because we were filming every game for a team highlight video. I would give copies of the games with timecode burned over the video to the players we were doing recruiting videos for and have them choose the plays they wanted in their highlights. This would let them get exactly what they wanted and I wouldn't have to watch hours of game tape to pick out the plays.