DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Music video question. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/12083-music-video-question.html)

Alex Knappenberger July 15th, 2003 06:55 PM

No ones commented on how good they are (the song I posted)? You have to wait for the solo, jimmy rocks.

Oh yeah, and no, I wasn't talking about these guys when I said they were terrible, i'm talking about one of my other friends band, not Harsh Manner, HM rocks.

I'll plug it again for anyone who missed the post. :D

Here, I put up a song from the band I am doing this video for (don't know what song we'll be doing though, theres like 7 of them), they are called harsh manner and are 100% local, they have been a band for like 5 years or something like that, and they are all only 16-18 years old...they rock, oh yeah, my cousin is the guitarist's girlfriend. :D There's no doubt in my mind that these dudes won't get signed sometime, the drummer and guitarist are brothers, and they are the both awesome musicians, i'm still waiting for them to get their freakin CD finished too.

ftp://24.209.60.212/HarshManner-WickedWorld.mp3
(Personal FTP, Right click > Save target as, 5MB)

Mark Moore July 15th, 2003 07:43 PM

Haha. Sorry Tor. No, I wasn't being ironic, nor was I trying to make fun. I think the story is a great idea for a short film (if you aren't going to use it, I might try to make it sometime - I'll give you credit for the idea!).

Thanks all for explaining ILL for me. I forget not everyone shares my antiquated tastes (or on this global forum - even knows what they are sometimes)!

As for Fred, Ethel and Ricky not beating up Lucy - Ricky frequently spanked her (would tv-husbands get away with that now?), and threatened to throttle her (choke, maim, etc.). I remember the three of them stuck shaving brushes in her mouth once. But you're correct, I don't think they beat her up.

Alex, I did listen to the mp3. I'm just not a metal fan, so I couldn't give a good review - except that the music is tight and played well. However to me, it sounds like every other metal song I've heard! Sorry.

I still would like to see or hear the 'bad' band!

Ivan Hedley Enger July 16th, 2003 12:34 AM

Keith wrote: "Some things just don't cross the ocean" BUT, this one really did.

Itīs some years ago now, so maybe Tor have forgotten or maybe he is to young, but we had our share of Lucy allright. At the time I was a big fan of her, I found her show very funny and watched every episode I was able too.

I guess you are right John, but even though every episode was the same, I still loved it.

Tor Salomonsen July 16th, 2003 01:43 AM

When the name Lucille Ball was mentioned, I got it. The show was called Lucy Show over here. My family didn't have TV those days. So I don't know anything about the plot. But I know that sit-coms are boiling a new soup on the same stone every week, so I'm not surprised to hear that all episodes were practically the same.

...maybe he is too young indeed. Ivan, I'm ten years your senior. I'm gonna have a listen to Harsh Manner now. If I can only find my hearing aid.

Tor Salomonsen July 16th, 2003 12:28 PM

It sounded cleaner than I'd have thought, especially when the singer is on, but it's probably not the final mix. So why does it remind me of Thin Lizzie? Probably the contrast between a rather soft male voice and that particular guitar sound. They had that, and Harsh Manners, even though the singer is harshing himself up as much as he can, has some of it, too. Well done, but I think you should look for a song with a more powerful refrain. When they sing "wic-ked world" with a break in the middle of wicked, they take away what little singing power that word has.
(If they were singing "Dying world" the meaning would be intact, they'd have a much stronger refrain, and it would link beautifully with your video. But far be it from me to suggest anything.)

Anyway, good luck. Don't make all cuts on the beat.

Alex Knappenberger July 16th, 2003 12:35 PM

Jeez, are you a professional at something with music? lol.. Opps (edit) i see that you are a song writer...

Eh, actually that is the final mix, they paid lots and lots and lots of money to record that stuff and have it mixed by this dude, and the dude that mixed it is good, but he didn't put in nearly enough low end. It sounds a lot better on the CD though, thats a crappy MP3 rip that one of the band members did real quick.

Joe, the Vocalist is always depressed about his vocal performance, he is always like "man I am so terrible, i suck". I made a small suggestion to them to maybe have one of their friends (chad) do backup vocals, because his voice is very deep and it would add some low end to the vocals (plus he was already in a band, and he sounds good singing) since joe's singing is high pitched, heh.

Regardless, the band as a whole is amazing, and you'd really have to see them live...

Your suggestion of "dying world" is a good one, that would of probably sounded/worked better for that song....

Tor Salomonsen July 16th, 2003 12:50 PM

I'm a songwriter.
I may not go to Ohio to see Harsh Manners live, but I'll be waiting for your video.

K. Forman July 16th, 2003 01:41 PM

Tor- What kind of music do you write? Anything online we can check out?

Tor Salomonsen July 16th, 2003 03:57 PM

Been writing mostly rock over the years. Done a little for film, too - long time ago. I've got a web site (sadly neglected), it's focused on the lyric side of writing. There are some samples. Unfortunately they are in Real Audio format. I want to change to vma, but haven't had the time yet. About the samples, I've written all lyrics, plus music for all that's under the heading Asfalt.

Home page

Sample page