Build your own telepromter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 18th, 2003, 01:53 PM   #1
New Boot

Build your own telepromter

I tried the " behind technique", putting the laptop between talent and camera with scrolling mouse controlled by talent. I did not like it at all.
Have any one have information or experience of building your own telepromter. I would appreciated of your inputs.
Thank you for sharing.
Viethai Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #2
Wrangler

Open DV discussion would probably be a better location for this question.

Use Google and do a search on teleprompters. You will find information on building your own and even some kits IIRC.

An inexpensive telepromter is really just a piece of plastic sheet that is held at a 45 degree angle to the camera lens-talent axis and the text display is presented to the frontside of the sheet.

The expensive part is not the hardware assuming you have the display already but the software. 'Prompter,' the least expensive software is no longer available I think. The others are at least $300 IIRC and are not great applications.
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

wonder if a powerpoint presentation would do the trick, you could 100% do this with a flash animation by importing the desired text....
Alturo Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:50 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mike,

You're right about moving this...I'm going to do that now.

Alturo...there are some free-to-cheap teleprompter software apps that can be downloaded. Do a search on Google and at Download.com and see what you find.
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:26 PM   #5
New Boot

thanks for reply and Hi Alturo
I used java script , controlling the speed with mouse. What I did not like is the "eye contact" of talent.
I also did search on the Net before posting here and could not find the "build it your self" information. The cheapest information cost $ 40 from http://videouniversity.com/intelipr.htm

"I already own a different brand of teleprompter software. Can I purchase the 'Plans Only' that would show me how to construct my own Prompter box to use with my existing software?
YES. As long as the software you now own is a professional package that allows you to display scrolling text in mirror image mode on your monitor. The complete construction Video (running time 55 minutes) and the detail plans are available for $40.00 (US) plus our standard shipping and handling charges. "

Still waiting for inputs from "da man". Thanks.
Viethai Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 01:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Poor Man's telepromter

I've seen a popular music television station use this technique for location shoots. All of the text is printed out on standard sized paper, which is wrapped around an empty paper towel roll. Each sheet is connnected to the next by stapling on the top and bottom corners. The first sheet on the roll is stapled to the roll itself.
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #7
Wrangler

Unfortunately, unless the talent is good at reading the script, the text that is off the lens axis causes a very noticable eye focus point shift. Even with on-axis teleprompters, if the talent follows the text with eye shifts it is very noticable.

The talent has to learn to look directly into the lens and read the text without moving their eyes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion