Blue hase around objects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 20th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Blue hase around objects

Question

I am using a Sony D8 camcorder DRC-TRV340. Have been using it for some time. But it has only been the past 8 or 9 months, since I retired that I have been doing a lot of nature and wildlife filming.

This camera has a 25X optical zoom and I use a 2X converter. The problem I’m having is when I take video of say an eagle in a tree or in flight I get a blue haze around tree branches and around the bird or its wings.

My question : 1- Is this a result of the fact that this camera only has one CCD, or because of the 2X converter, or something else?

2- Is there anything that can be done to correct this, like a filter or something.

I use Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 7, is there anyway to correct it in Vegas?

I plan to buy an XL2 in the future but that is a ways off.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Warren Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

High zoom ratios, not to mention the addition of the 2X, will cause the blue haze. It's usually a product of a high angle key light (such as the sun). Mid day brings this problem out a lot.

Shoot early/late day if possible and stay off the long end of the lense. I understand of course that in nature, you have to grab it however you can and conditions aren't always optimal.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Trustee

This is called chromatic aberration, right? Some more expensive telephoto adapters have less. It depens on the model as even some cheaper ones aren't bad. I think it is colloquially labeled "purple fringe" so use both search terms in your quest for a possibly better lens.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think you may also notice it around bright objects in an otherwise dark scene - ie fringing around lights in a night scene, particularly as has been pointed out at the telephoto end of things.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for the feed back. Very helpful.
Warren Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion