Help Needed for saving MiniDV tape to Raw DV format at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 29th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #1
Tourist

Help Needed for saving MiniDV tape to Raw DV format

Dear Friends,

I have a Panasonic GS120 MiniDV Cam that is connected through 1394 to my PC with Athlon 64 3200+ and 512 MB Ram. I want to save the content of the MiniDV Tape in Raw DV format (.dv extension) for archive by the reason of the meta data that it contains. I don't want to be converted to avi,mpg or other capture formats. I have used ULead Video Studio 11 and Fox Video Studio 8 but both of them captured the video in formats such as avi and not in the format that the camera saves on its tape. Could you please guide me through a software that has this feature. Please Help me.

Thanks for your time.
Moc Oohay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #2
New Boot

I may be wrong or just not totally correct, so anyone with more knowledge can chime in at anytime. But saving in avi is raw dv. Or at least as close to raw as you can get. I believe all dv will save on a pc with some compression. I think it is just how much compression. But when a nle captures the video, it saves it as an avi with very little compression. That is why the file size is so huge.

I read something a while back that explained it. If I can find it, I'll post the link.

And if I'm wrong, hopefully someone out there will correct me.
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Enosoft Enhanced DV Decoder

Moc, you can do that with the avi file using software written buy our member here at DVi, John Miller.

See http://www.enosoft.net/products/enodvdec/enodvdec.htm
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks, Ervin(!)

The decoder can display the metadata. To capture to raw DV, the Enosoft DV Processor can do that.

Moc,

Details are on the home page: http://www.enosoft.net

You can capture directly to raw DV format (.dv). If you need to, you can also convert any existing DV AVIs to/from raw DV.

BTW, the DV AVI contains exactly the same information as the raw format including the metadata. The DV stream is just "wrapped" in an AVI file so that it can be used with many different applications. The DV processor software can display the metadata if you need to see it including time/date, timecode, camera settings etc. The time/date and timecode can also be edited.

John.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Trustee

Capturing through fire wire is just a digital transfer, bit for bit an exact copy of what is on tape. There is no conversion, no compression, no loss. AVI is not a format, it is only a wrapper.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion