DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   I always forget to turn off my camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/123387-i-always-forget-turn-off-my-camera.html)

Pietro Impagliazzo June 9th, 2008 04:57 PM

I always forget to turn off my camera

Hi, I know this is a really weird thread, but lately I've been forgeting constantly to turn off my camera. I have a Sony FX7.

The problem is I've been storing it in the camera bag with the power turned on.

Maybe that's because of the massive power time I get with the NP-F970, and of course my incredibly short attention span (that I need to improve).

When I took my camera out of the bag it was kinda hot, by a SWAG I'd say the body was like 40C (104F). If that was so, the internal parts were hotter? Are there any problems with temperatures like this?

I think I will only close the LCD when I turn off the camera, that will help.

I've already attached a red paper saying TURN OFF in the outside of the bag, and that is not helping much.

I'm feeling a little lame here, but maybe someone as a newbie dealt with a similar situation...

Dave Blackhurst June 9th, 2008 10:59 PM

I think it's just the FX7... I seem to have the same problem! Put it away a couple times without turning it off, and I think I've accidently triggered it on while putting accessories into the case too...

Mugurel Dragusin June 10th, 2008 03:05 AM

Pietro, should we exclude medical reasons of some sorts? I am NOT trying to insult you, I seriously wondering, worth thinking on it, as you know yourself best. Forgetting other things as well? etc...

Guess we all forget things but if becomes repetitive, might be something going on.

Chris Soucy June 10th, 2008 03:11 AM

Hi guys.......

Doesn't the ^&%$ thing turn itself off after X minutes of non use?

Geez, what are they manufacturing these days?

Toys?

CS

Pietro Impagliazzo June 10th, 2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 890699)
I think it's just the FX7... I seem to have the same problem! Put it away a couple times without turning it off, and I think I've accidently triggered it on while putting accessories into the case too...

I blame 6+ hours of batt. runtime.
I stopped turning the camera off when I purchased the large sony batt.

Not that this is a bad thing, but I gotta start turning the camera off everytime I finish a take.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugurel Dragusin (Post 890752)
Pietro, should we exclude medical reasons of some sorts? I am NOT trying to insult you, I seriously wondering, worth thinking on it, as you know yourself best. Forgetting other things as well? etc...

Guess we all forget things but if becomes repetitive, might be something going on.

Relax, I'm not offended hehe.

I was asked to help in a TV show pilot, I entered the project with very little time to prepare and study things. All the shooting was pretty rushed. That was my first time working in a TV production. Gosh, I was dead in the last day. So you add that to the fact my college tests are right around the corner.

My short attention span is genetic, my father can get worse than this. Thankfully my mother is very well organized and careful, so that balanced things a bit for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 890756)
Doesn't the ^&%$ thing turn itself off after X minutes of non use?

Geez, what are they manufacturing these days?

Toys?

CS

I was wondering about that too!
I'll check the menus now to see If I can find anything about this.

Mike Beckett June 10th, 2008 10:52 AM

I've got myself programmed to switch off, remove battery before the camera goes into the bag.

It hasn't caught me out - yet! Someday I'll probably realise that my battery is in a car two miels away when I'm just about to catch sight of Bigfoot visiting Ireland...

Pietro Impagliazzo June 10th, 2008 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 890913)
I've got myself programmed to switch off, remove battery before the camera goes into the bag.

It hasn't caught me out - yet! Someday I'll probably realise that my battery is in a car two miels away when I'm just about to catch sight of Bigfoot visiting Ireland...

I'll do this.
I'm going to remove the batt. everytime I store the camera in the bag.
Can't go wrong with this (I guess).

My bag is pretty big, so everything goes in it: mics, wide angle adapt., batteries, lcd hood, charger, table top tripod, 25ft xlr cable etc. I can even fit a dettached Spider Brace. People often get surprised by the variety of acessories I have inside the bag.

That's an advantage of a big bag... If you don't mind carrying a little bulky bag around of course.

Guys thanks for the advices.

Chris, I took another look at the menu, no sign of auto-shutdown, that's odd.

Bruce Foreman June 10th, 2008 12:03 PM

Suggestion:

For those of you taking the battery off the camera. Keep some kind of bag to store the battery in to prevent something metal from coming in contact with battery terminals.

Depending on battery size a few of those "mini" cases for small digital cameras might do the trick.

At the very least consider stuffing a few ziplok freezer bags in you working camera bag. Not only will they insulate batteries but in case of a sudden rain storm, the one gallon size can be used to protect small camcorders.