VHS Tape Stock at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 23rd, 2003, 05:12 AM   #1
Major Player

VHS Tape Stock

Hey guys.
I'm about to make a lot of copies from miniDV to VHS. I have a deck that will do this. My questions are...

1. Which brand of tape is the best to buy? I've heard Fuji's make the best, is there a particular model number I should look for?

2. My film is only 6 minutes long. Most tapes I've seen are 2 hours or more. Seems like a major waste of tape. I've heard that they do make 10 min VHS tapes, but that the quality is garbage. Is that true?

3. I see that there are VHS tapes, and S-VHS tapes. I'm assuming the S-VHS tapes are better quality, but does that mean that whoever is watching it must have an SVHS VCR? Just want to make sure before I make a bunch of copies and people start telling me the tapes won't work.

thanks guys!
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 08:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Brad.

I use TDK tapes but as far I know, you should be ok with any major brand (Fuji, Sony, etc).

I don't have experience with 10min tapes.

Normaly the S-VHS are better quality. You can use them in VHS recorders ( to record and play). You must be careful if you record them in a S-VHS capable player. If you want the tapes to play in VHS VCRs, be shure to set your recorder to VHS mode.

Best regards
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 09:25 AM   #3
Major Player

check out taperesource.com for different length vhs tapes. i get all my media from them.
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 02:26 PM   #4
Major Player

thanks for the advice guys! I'll look into it.
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 05:49 PM   #5
Major Player

I just used a bunch of Fuji T-10s (10 minute tapes) to send some of my films to film festivals. The quality was fine, equivalent if not better to the generic 2-hour tapes. Just make sure to avoid the first 15 seconds like any other tape and you'll be fine!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion