Camera question? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 19th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera question?

I have been using a Canon ZR-40 for tape capture and playback. Recently it started eating tapes. I ran a head cleaner, didn't help. It keeps telling me to eject tape. Of course tried different tapes. What's the problem? Secondly, if I have to replace- what is an in-expensive replacement and what quality is really needed for playback & capture anyway? Thanks guys.
Tony Sellars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Trustee

I would replace. Repair costs could be more than that cams current used value.

A good candidate for replacement might be the Canon HV20/30, you could continue to work in standard definition and preserve your current workflow but would also have one foot in the Hi Definition game.

You can set the cam for standard def MiniDV and set it to output over firewire in DV, or you can set it to record in Hi Def but temporarily output over firewire in DV. Advantage being at a later date you can go back to the tapes and recapture in Hi Def to edit in Hi Def when you're ready to do that.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sellars View Post
I have been using a Canon ZR-40 for tape capture and playback. Recently it started eating tapes. I ran a head cleaner, didn't help. It keeps telling me to eject tape. Of course tried different tapes. What's the problem? Secondly, if I have to replace- what is an in-expensive replacement and what quality is really needed for playback & capture anyway? Thanks guys.
I just started having a similar problem with my ZR-40. If I leave the camera on for 30-60 minutes and then try to rewind a tape, it eats the tape as it tries to rewind. Then it locks up and gives me an error saying it needs to be ejected. I don't have a solution, but I just wanted to let you know you are not alone with your ZR-40 troubles.

Good luck!

Cheers, Jon
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

For SD mini DV having a good DVcam deck is a blessing for DV capturing to keep wear down on the camera. But for the HDV cameras shooting in HDV format then the option of an additional deck is out of the question for some of us.

So it looks like just sticking to the same brand of tapes for the camera, hope for the best, and then wear that sucker out before it dies naturally is the way to go. I'd still might use my deck for at least rewinding the tapes, and at least save on the camera's motor if not the heads.
Jeff Turkali is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion