DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   What would you have done? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/124823-what-would-you-have-done.html)

Colin McDonald June 27th, 2008 04:42 PM

What would you have done?

I'd be interested in people's views about this.

Today I was on the other side of the camera for a change, playing keyboard for a singsong at a retiral presentation. There were actually 3 people leaving, 2 retiring and one moving to a new job.

One of the colleagues who was retiring had a friend who appeared unannounced with two HV30s to video his presentation (didn't ask me whether it was OK by the way). This was a thank you job, not a hired-in team.

The issue is that the camera operators not only ignored the first 2 presentations but made it quite obvious to anyone with any video experience that the were doing this, and only switched on their cameras for the last guy.

Had it been me, I would have filmed the lot and offered the footage to the other two people leaving. The sad thing to me was that some folks thought the whole thing had been filmed (one has to remember the average person's level of knowledge/interest in technical matters) and I have this horrible feeling that someone is going to be disappointed.

I felt that it was unfair to the first two folks not to include them. Am I being over sensitive?

Dean Sensui June 27th, 2008 06:41 PM

If it's an individual doing this for his own personal collection then there's no obligation to shoot all the presentations. It's not unlike a graduation ceremony where the proud parents might photograph only their child getting a diploma, but not all 442.

And the other presenters could do the same as well, having their own friends photograph and videotape the proceedings. Nowadays with cameras so widely in use, it's unlikely that there wouldn't be some sort of coverage of almost any event.

Some individuals will be more elaborate than others and go the multi-cam route. It's not unusual with today's technology.

Colin McDonald June 28th, 2008 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Sensui (Post 899894)
If it's an individual doing this for his own personal collection then there's no obligation to shoot all the presentations. It's not unlike a graduation ceremony where the proud parents might photograph only their child getting a diploma, but not all 442.

And the other presenters could do the same as well, having their own friends photograph and videotape the proceedings. Nowadays with cameras so widely in use, it's unlikely that there wouldn't be some sort of coverage of almost any event.

Some individuals will be more elaborate than others and go the multi-cam route. It's not unusual with today's technology.

I see what you mean. If it had been a large occasion in a hall or function room I would agree with you, but this was in a crowded staffroom with about 100 people. There was no one else with a camera that I could see. And only 3 people receiving presentations, not dozens or hundreds.

David Heath June 28th, 2008 04:45 AM

It may be a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I see your point, but it's conceivable that other people may have taken the point of view "how dare they film me without permission!" A bit of liasion in advance may have been a good idea.