Helmet mounted VholdR camera - exposure issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Helmet mounted VholdR camera - exposure issue

A friend has just bought a VholdR helmet mounted camera to use as he drives his classic Mustang at ridiculous speeds in the various Old Timers Grand Prix around Europe. He's aware that it's a budget device but he wants to see whether he will regularly use such a cam before investing in an upmarket model.

It seems that the VholdR has a non-user-adjustable exposure. Whether that means it has automatically adjusting exposure or whether it means it is fixed at a 'happy mid-point' I don't know, as I haven't seen or used the camera. I'm thinking that it is the former but I couldn't confirm that from the basic info on their website http://vholdr.com/.

He used the camera very successfully in an open top car where the footage was exposed well. However, when he used it in his own car, which has a hard top, the interior was perfectly exposed but the exterior was completely blown out. That's what leads me to believe it's auto-exposing.

Without being able to adjust the exposure manually, does anyone have any suggestions as to how he might use it successfully in the hardtop car?

Race rules dictate that he can't mount the camera externally or in headlight enclosures. It has to be helmet or rollbar mounted.

My first thought was to experiment with some small pieces of ND gel to drop the light getting to the CCD.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The auto exposure is measuring the full scene level and is clearly exposing more for the interior. Move the camera closer to the windshield to get less interior. Putting ND gel will just raise the exposure level as it will still attempt to expose for the interior until it maxes out its gain. Shot will just getting more gain and grainy. Is there a roll bar close to the windshield?

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Putting ND gel will just raise the exposure level as it will still attempt to expose for the interior until it maxes out its gain
Duh! Of course! What was I thinking??? I sheepishly beg other readers to take into account that I am having a bad day!

I'll go back to my friend and see what the possibility is of moving the camera closer to the windshield. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion