How does Timecode work? and stupid questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 31st, 2003, 12:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How does Timecode work? and stupid questions

All films use it. They hold up that board with the numbers for a take and use it later in post.

But what do they do with it? I know it's to "sync" everything. But what is the process. Do they enter those numbers in the editor or somthing? After all I "do" know, this one boggles me. Any articlas online?

And one last question. Does anyone know where I can get one of those boards with the moving red moving timecode numbers on it. Don't know what it's called.
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Well I guess knowone knows so I've done my own research. They are called "Slates"

http://www.denecke.com/prod01.htm

Still invesiating what they do with it.
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 09:21 AM   #3
Contributor

The slate gives you a visual and audio reference point for shooting double system sound. The editor finds the single frame where the slate claps together and marks it. Then he finds the spot on the audio reel where the clap is heard. He aligns those and voila--sync. Slates with running time code are expensive. We simply use take sheets. We only use a clapboard if we're shooting double system, which we do on occasion but not a lot. If you want one, check studiodepot.com or markertek.com. I think they start at around $1,200 or so. Of course, your camera has to have a timecode out to sync the slate.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 10:29 AM   #4
Wrangler

The timecode on the clapboard won't do you much good unless the sound source can 'chase' the timecode on the video once you sync them up at the time of the slate.

Basically, the clapboard is enough although there are a lot of ways to sync up a double system sound. The clapboard is just the easiest if you have someone to operate it and the setting will allow it. Can't really do it in a wedding ceremony, for example.

Did I say that not only is the time code clapboard expensive, the editing system that will work with timecode and keep the audio and video in sync is quite expensive.
Old August 1st, 2003, 01:48 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You can get the same results with two pieces of wood (you use the audio spike to sync things up). The fancy clapboards just makes life a bit easier.

If you are using multiple cameras then you can use a flash to sync things up in post.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion