UPS in So East Asia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 11th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

UPS in So East Asia

I'm planning on being in South East Asia for a while and figure that an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) with 240V input and 120V output might be the best way to power some of my equipment that's "120V only". Anyone have an idea where I might find such an animal??? I've googled all the usual suppects to no avail.

Or can anyone who's faced a similar problem point me to what worked for them.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Tourist

What sorts of things do you envision plugging into the UPS?
Charles Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Wrangler

If you're talking about modern electronic devices, you're not likely to need any sort of conversion. Take a look at the name plates on the power supplies for your camera, computers, etc. For example, the power adaptor for my MacBook Pro says:

100-240V 50-60Hz

Modern power supplies are nearly all compatible with the full range of voltages and frequencies you're likely to come across. I used my Z1, PowerBook, external firewire drives and other stuff in Argentina for weeks on 220v 50hz with nothing more an an adaptor to make the plugs fit. No problems whatsoever. Here's a nice website with lots of info on power systems and plug types from around the world: http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

Of course if you want a UPS for other reasons, that/s another matter...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ah that life were that simple. For starters, my scanner will only take 120V.. and I've got several wall warts (power pods) that are 120V only. I'm still debating if I even want to take the scanner but given the duration of my stay I probably will. I don't exactly want to go out and buy new power pods for the 5 items that need them.

However, even if I was able to run everything on 220V, I'm still thinking UPS... power in the area I'm going is not that reliable and transients are common. Not a good combination for electronics longevity, so my initial thought was to kill 2 birds with one rock.

At the moment I'm thinking 220V UPS for the computer (readily available in country) and then a smallish transformer for the things that are 120V only.

Mark
Mark Keck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion