What to buy...what to buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 3rd, 2003, 11:45 PM   #1
High School Student

What to buy...what to buy?

I've got only about $150 right now to spend on some stuff. I don't know what to buy. I've been planning on some lights, but I don't really know how much use i'd get out of them, other them maybe a music video and a public access show, but ofcourse i'm probably wrong. I could always just buy a fisheye lens I want, and a couple other small accessories and whatnot...

What do you think?

I was planning on buying this "kit":

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh1/con...u=48854&is=REG

If I do buy that, I will make some custom barndoors for them, since you can't buy any for them, well you can, but they want like $60, and aren't nothing but some flaps that clip onto the sides. They would be pretty useless without a way to control the lights, so barndoors seem like a must have, unless you just wanted to boost the light level in a room or something, but thats "flat" lighting. :D

EDIT - Oh yeah, one thing I meant to ask about light bulbs.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh1/con...u=19621&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh1/con...=121894&is=REG

First of all, whats the difference between ECA and ECT? Will they both work in that standard type of socket? And lastly, can I find 250W bulbs like that at local stores? I was in lowes and the home depot a few times today, not looking for light bulbs, but I did peak in them sections and didn't see anything over 120W.

Thanks.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 06:14 AM   #2
Warden

One is 500 watts and the other is 250 watts. They are both 3200K, so do not mix them with daylight (5000K) or you'll have a white balance problem (mixed lighting). Daylight bulbs are available (BCA and EBW). That type of kit is basically designed for still photography. The lamps have an average life of maybe 3 to 5 hours.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #3
High School Student

Hmm, that 500w one says it's life is 60 hours, and the 250w one has got a 20 hour life. That seems plenty enough for video to me. :D.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #4
Warden

Sorry, I didn't remember them lasting that long. It's the daylight ones that I mentioned that have the very short life.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion