dv switchers ** help !!! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM   #31
Regular Crew

ahhhhhhhhhh. thank you !!

Just wanted to say, thanks to all putting in their two cents. Im learning so much. reading on my own time, and learning as fast as I can.

quick story; I met some kid the other day, who was very interested in my work, and complimented on my videos, and as we started to talk, he tells me he's at an art institute for videography, and digital media. He said he had been there for a while and was learning alot. So I started to quiz him on things that I have learned, from exporting files in FCP, to editing techniques and the use of short cut keys in FCP. As the conversation progressed, I was teaching him more than he had learned in his year at the art institute, and I think I made him feel like he wasnt learning anything, because a few weeks later we met again, and he told me he dropped out, and decided to go to the local community college. When I asked why, he tells me he learned more from me in an hour than he did in his time at the art institute. I was shocked.

Just goes to show you that passion and finding yourself amongst the same minded people help more than just forcing yourself to digest information.

So thanks to all who are on these forums, schooling a newb like me !
Felipe Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Share and share alike, Felipe! I for one and thankful for those that took me under their wing when I started so I like to give back when I can. It ALSO helps that you aren't in my market going after my clients! <laughs> I'm a firm believer in Karma. Give and you shall receive three-fold, which allows you to give even more!
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #33
Regular Crew

hahaha, if your an entourage fan, you should know how Ari Gold feels about stealing other peoples clients.

and yes, Karma comes full circle! I am already seeing other local videographers trying to work my clients for cheaper, and also trying to work with me in order to work with my clients.

there are so many snakes in the grass in the entertainment industry.
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Miller View Post
If you are using Windows, we have a DV switcher DirectShow plug-in that can switch up to 4 cameras live. It is still in development but fully functional.

Please PM me for more info.

John.
People have reported problems getting the filter to register which isn't very helpful. So, I've put an installation package on our server that should take care of everything:

http://www.enosoft.net/dl.php?filena...erFilter32.msi

If you have problems with this, please let me know.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe Gallego View Post
"thank you."

I did thank Mr. Miller above and previously stated that I am a proud mac user, and he still pitched me a windows based program.

real mac users, dont need windows. ;)
Heh, and real Mac users are used to paying top end prices for top end equipment to do top end work. So $6k for a live DVI switcher isn't too bad. You could also just get one of the $20K Sony Anycast stations and skip the computer step all together and do the switching and live streaming all in one box.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #36
Regular Crew

wow, you sound a little bitter Jason. If you have nothing wise to say, dont hijack my threads with random useless comments.

is there an admin in the house?

and John, stop whoring my thread with windows based progs. and banter.
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
wow, you sound a little bitter Jason. If you have nothing wise to say, dont hijack my threads with random useless comments.

My apologies. I did not mean to sound bitter. Only a bit ironic given some comments back and forth in the above discussion. Also I was in your exact place not more than a few months ago when I was researching ways to perform live switching between multiple cameras and stream the result.

My comment was meant to point out that quality switching takes money, some times a significant amount of it. As does quality production suites like FCP/PP. As does quality edit system hardware of which you indicated your strong preference for your preferred top quality OS / NLE (some might say condescending approach to all others).

You may also note that I am a long time contributor to DVInfo. As such, one thing I did notice with this thread is the tone of some comments which is not necessarily in keeping with the rest of DVInfo and the environment Chris has worked to foster, like the choice of language above. Just my personal observation.

Feel free to ignore anything you don't like to hear, include this entire post.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:

I have no idea what "banter" you are refering to unless you mean the advice I have given you regarding cheaper alternatives to Canopus DV converters, why to avoid cheap switch boxes etc.

Regarding the "whoring", I was doing the appropriate thing to alert those people who had followed up on my suggestion that there was a problem.

You are a new boot, with this thread being your introduction to the community. I would recommend turning down the aggressive stance if you are to receive help from those of us who have been around the block on this forum a few times and understand the professional air that Chris has created to set it apart from other forums.

I'm sorry you consider the time I gave to offer you assistance a frivolous and inappropriate exercise.

I shall not post to this thread any further.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #39
Regular Crew

thank you major player !
Felipe Gallego is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion