Panasonic's AJ-SDX900 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 21st, 2003, 12:11 PM   #16
Inner Circle

On windows.. most dv50 based systems are based on proprietary capture boards and proprietary codecs locked to those boards using SDI. using existing firewire to capture and output would be great.

I know Quicktime has some 8bit:4:2:2 codecs available, but don't know of any Directshow filters/codecs.

Jan... does Panasonic provide the codecs needed to edit the footage? Any recomended capture utilities available for windows users?
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 01:34 PM   #17
Panasonic Broadcast

Editing Systems for SDX900

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Carney : On windows.. most dv50 based systems are based on proprietary capture boards and proprietary codecs locked to those boards using SDI. using existing firewire to capture and output would be great.

Actually anytime you come into an SDI i/O you are at an uncompressed level and thus you can edit on virtually any system that works in an uncompressed domain. We just had a music video cut for us on an Accom Infinity at 60i. You can edit on a Media Composer or Adreniline today.

Jan... does Panasonic provide the codecs needed to edit the footage? Any recomended capture utilities available for windows users?

To edit in native DVCPRO50 Codecs, both Apple and Avid have paid for the use of our codec as it is not a public domain codec. The advantage of this is that the file sizes a vastly smaller, and in the case of 24P extraction it can happen on the fly in real time rather than having to render it out.

Hope that helps,

Jan
Jan Crittenden Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 01:39 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks. I going to have to email a petition to Sony/sofo and hope they keep an open mind and add support.
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:02 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I posted over at the sofo forum and was met with.....
silence. Drat.
Old August 26th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #20
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Carney : I posted over at the sofo forum and was met with.....
silence. Drat. -->>>

Joe,

I imagine that they, SOFO, will be supporting the DV25 portion of the camera, they currently support the DVX100. Not sure about the DV50 portion as that requires them to enter into an arena that their parent company my not like. But you never know, it is a strange business.

Best regards,

Jan
Old August 26th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Probably better luck with Premiere Pro on the PC side, I'd guess...
Old August 29th, 2003, 06:57 PM   #22
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

A related announcement today regarding a FCP 4 update.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I'm hoping no answer doesn't mean no way. Vegas already supports 8bit 4:2:2 color space for it's various effects.

As far as Premier Pro? Adobe usually doesn't include any special codecs with Premier, instead relying on third party companies (Canopus, Matrox...) to provide them. I heard they broke with tradition and included the MainConcept DV codec with Premier Pro
since the MS codec has gotten such a bad rep.

I wonder if either Canopus or Matrox would offer affordable dv50 options that would interfere with their more profitable component/SDI offerings.

I still haven't found anyone offering a stand alone, commercial, high quality DV50 codec for sale that works under DirectShow. The only thing close is the freeware Huffy YUV codec.
Old August 30th, 2003, 12:32 PM   #24
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Carney : I'm hoping no answer doesn't mean no way. Vegas already supports 8bit 4:2:2 color space for it's various effects.

Sonic is working to insure the DVCPRO25 initially, and they may also move toward the DVCPRO50.

Best regards,

Jan
Old September 9th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #25

Videography Feature

I just received the September, 2003 issue and noticed that the AJ-SDX900 is the cover story (by Mark Foley). (And Jan is quoted several times in the article.) Darn, this camera is just too intriguing to ignore.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old September 9th, 2003, 07:32 PM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Well Ken, Jan offered to arrange a demo for you -- I think you should take her up on it (here comes a whole new side to DV Info)!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 08:41 PM   #27
Major Player

I agree, if only to see it in person even. A short write-up of your own would be interesting, along with photos/video if time permits. Otherwise, here is the link for the Mark Foley review: Panasonic AJ-SDX900.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #28

I know myself too well. If I take Jan's gracious offer to help arrange a demo it I'll buy it. But, of course, that implies a cascade of precipitant expenses such as a good lens, a DVCPRO50-compatible deck, batteries, insurance, etc. Best guess, net of current equipment sales: $40-50K.

But my principal dilemma is really size and weight. Although this is a smaller camera than the big ol' ENG Beta's it's still a large camera, and rather heavy when rigged to roll. While it presents what seems to be remarkable opportunities for imaging, a camera this size also presents some formidable limitations. Bottom line: what could I do with this camera that I could not do with smaller, or my current, equipment?

I am still ponderin' it, though.

Old September 11th, 2003, 11:08 PM   #29
Major Player

Well, one thing you could do with the camera is LET ME BORROW IF FOR A LOW BUDGET SHOOT LOL...

I've seen some sdx900 footage on an ntsc monitor and indoor stuff with good lighting and it LOOKS LIKE film, no kidding. Blows the dvx100 out of the water, which I guess it should...

never seen outdoor or distance footage, so I can't say anything about that.

Waiting for it to hit the 500 daily rental rate.
Michael Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 12:03 AM   #30

Michael,
You're the first to report actually seeing footage from the camera...and your observations aren't helping my budget <g>.

What are you seeing the SDX900 renting for in your area?

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion