EIS Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 10th, 2003, 11:38 PM   #1
New Boot

EIS Question

Hello,
Well, just got back from the new Fry's in dallas. I think I have narrowed my search to the TRV-38 & Optura 20. I think the Optura looked smoother with had less artifacts. However, I noticed that the EIS on the Canon did not do as good of a job as the sony. What's up with that? Is this a known issue, or was the cam defective?

Which one would you get?

Thanks,
Thomas
Thomas Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 12:19 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Thomas

If you were certain that the IS was switched on, most likely any difference you saw related to a difference in the frequencies dampened by the two systems. The Canon EIS is actually very clean, but it works on a subtle basis which doesn't detract too much from the image quality but requires you to still try to hold the camera as steadily as possible. The Sony EIS does better with more severe and obvious shaking, but takes away more from the image quality as a result. In the long run, choose the camcorder which feels best in your hands as ergonomics is by far the most important aspect within this price range. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 12:34 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks. I also have a chance to buy a DV-852 for $600. I have read lots about this cam, but i don't know about buying something that is old. Plus the LCD is only 2.5". Do you think this cam would be better than the sony or canon?

Thanks again.
Thomas Garcia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion