Pick a Camera for outdoor work xl1s or gl-2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 12th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #1
New Boot

Pick a Camera for outdoor work xl1s or gl-2

First, let me state that I am completely new in regards to working with this equipment, so excuse my ignorance.

I would like to get some opinion on what camera to buy or if there is even an option.

I will be filming this year for an outdoor company, mainly getting animal footage from predawn to 10 am and 3pm to dark. Most of the guys and gals working for this company have the XL1s cameras. The end production is sold as a 3 hour DVD which compiles everyones footage.

Is the footage from the XL1s compatible with that of the GL-2 when it comes to the final editing process/product(is it interchagable).

If so what camera would you buy and why? The price diff. is pretty large and the cameras both appear to be pretty nice. I have also read that the GL-2 does better in low light-which would be a big advantage in this industry.
Thanks in Advance
Chris
Old August 12th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #2
New Boot

also

also which camera do you guys feel is easier to film through.
Old August 12th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes the footage can be mixed together. no one can really tell you which is easier to film with because that is all based on personal perference. there are a few reasons to choose each camera.

the xl1s:
-it is bigger and in turn looks more professional.
-it has interchangable lens (which can get quite expensive for an already expensive camera)
-shoulder mount
-more accessories for this camera (which can come at son $eriou$ cost)

the gl2:
-less conspicuous.
-has an LCD. (the xl1s does not)
-lightweight
-considerably cheaper

it all depends which of these features are most important to you.
Alfred Tomaszewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2003, 02:58 PM   #4
New Boot

Stabilization

Another question? I have noticed that the Gl2 has optical image stabilization and the XL1s has Digital image stabilization. Being a complete newbie I really dont know what the difference is and if it is important or not. Most of our filming will be done from the shoulder (or freehand if we purchase the GL2).

Will we be able to still get a good looking final product with out some sort of solid anchor as you would have with the XL1s. In other words will it still have a professional look to it.

Thanks again
Chris
Old August 12th, 2003, 06:26 PM   #5
Warden

Both have optical image stabilization (OIS). Most professional work, other than news gathering, is done from a tripod.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #6
Wrangler

Both cameras are excellent. I think I would ask your comrades if they think the XL-1S. The other advantage would be that you could draw on their expertise.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 12:57 AM   #7

XL1S and shoot as full-frame as possible.

I want a Kenyon Gyro Stabilizer. http://www.ken-lab.com
Hot damn!

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #8
New Boot

gls,xl1s.vx2000

First off i want to thank the people who put this board together....I cant find another site where so many professional, knowledgable people post replys to newbies like myself...thanks a lot guys, gals.

I have spoke with my comrades and one Has stated the reason that they went to the xl1s is do the better audio.....now they use to use the GL1, not the GL2.....Can one get as good as audio from the GL2 as from the XL1s or do you hear excessive motor noise from the gl2.

As i continue my research I have also noted that a lot of people who do low light work are recommending the VX2000. Mainly this is an outdoor production where you often see movement at dawn and dusk with little background noise. Any more thoughts from you guys.
again thanks in advance
Chris
Old August 14th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #9
Warden

I have used an XL1 (not S) in early morning and late evening without any problems. If you can see the animals, the XL1 can tape it.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 14th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #10
Major Player

I know you still get a useable image using the XL1/s in low light but it really isn't as good as the VX2k/PD-150. I did the comparisons in low light when I was looking at the canon and sony and the sony wins the low light battle hands down. Low light was an important thing for me so I went the sony route.

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #11
Warden

I shoot nature documentaries and you need it to still look some what dark. If the shot looks like high noon it may not work in the story line. The XL1 excels at this type of work because of the interchangeable lenses. Unless you're working at a zoo, you can't get close enough to most animals. The XL1 can work in magnification ranges (not zoom ranges) of 40X or more, with Canon EF lenses.

Old August 14th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #12
New Boot

audio

still hoping to here some comments on the audio ?'s i asked above? thanks
Old August 14th, 2003, 03:33 PM   #13
Warden

Audio is fine in either. You have more flexibility with the XL1, but it costs more. The audio would be similar with either, but with the right accessories, Lightwave Isolator, Sound Devices preamp, etc.) the XL1 will give superior audio. But it comes at a greater cost. If money is no object, get the XL1, if all the needed accessories will break the bank, look for lower cost alternatives, such as the GL2 etc.

Old August 15th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi there.

From my personal experiences, I used a Gl2 before moving to a xl1s more recently.

There is an adaptor for the gl2 called the MA300 which can give you XLR support for your mics.

All in all, the GL2 is a great! camera. There is no question about it. I think a question you have to ask yourself is
Which camera will fit my needs best? Both shoot at the highest quality.

However, if you ever see yourself in the future looking to be able to expand your needs in a camera, the XL1s might be the way to go. That was pretty much the reason as to why I changed from the gl2 to the xl1s. I started to expand what I did, and found that I was not getting enough out of my GL2.

With the ability to have interchangeble lenses, the MA200 adaptor, with a wireless mic receiver holster, and 3 shooting modes, plus a wide range of other features, it might be something to look into.

But like you said, at the moment you're just shooting outside. Just get whatever fits you best. The quality of the picture won't be different between the two.

I hope I helped some.
forever.
Joshua Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I shoot a lot of wildlife and outdoor features with both an older XL1 and a new GL2.

I love them both, but for different reasons.

The ability to change lenses or add an extender to the XL is a big plus for reaching out to longer distances.

I find the GL to be better in low light conditions though.

Audio quality on both is very good. I use the MA100 on the XL and an XLR Pro on the GL.

The only thing I don't like is that once you plug an external mic into the GL2 it disables the on board microphone. That's not the case with the XL and MA100.

I thought it would be harder to hand hold the GL, but on the rare occasions when I don't use sticks, I've found it surprisingly easy to hold steady.

I think the added weight of the XLR Pro and a bigger 945 battery helps.

Mike Avery
Mike Avery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion