2 computers, 1 monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 12th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #1
Tourist

2 computers, 1 monitor?

Can I hook up 1 monitor to 2 computers so that when I am capturing and rendering video, I can switch to my other computor and still work on homework or be on the internet. I am ordering a new computer but will not get another monitor nor do I have the room for another monitor.
Glenn Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes. Use a KVM switch box (Keyboard, Video, Mouse)
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2003, 08:13 PM   #3
Major Player

That's what I'm doing now, at one point I had four computers connected to my one monitor, keyboard, and mouse. They offer several kinds, those that switch between two computers or even eight or more.

You can go with one from Linksys for example: Click Here or you can go with a Belkin one: Belkin with Audio.

Some accept audio so that you can switch between two computers and still have the same set of speakers or some accept USB ports as well as PS/2. Up to you.

The cables are another matter. Some are higher grade than others but this shouldn't matter so bad unless you need to route the cables a far distance. Personally, I like the all-in-one cables, much neater that way: Expensive Belkin Cable.

There are more cheaper, generic ones around too.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion