Sony to JVC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 15th, 2003, 08:31 AM   #1
Tourist

Sony to JVC

I just purchased a Sony VX2000, it works beautifully. I've just begun filming and to conserve wear and tear on the Sony heads I planned to use my JVC mini DV camera as a deck.. When I play the DV tape in JVC that was recorded the Sony, the picture is distorted with lines through it. When I go from the Sony into the computer, there are no issues, the picture is perfect.

Are there compatibility issues between the 2 manufacturers?

Is there a format setting I need to have the Sony on when recording?

Any information would be helpful.........thanks
Clayton Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 09:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I use PD150's and an old VX1000 to shoot with and use a JVC 1chip camera as a deck (also 'Vacation Cam') and haven't had any problems at all. It is possible that the heads on the camera you are using as a deck need to be cleaned or the heads are really misaligned on the deck. I think I would try cleaning 1st (follow mfg. instructions) before doing anything drastic.
BTW, I've been using this system for about 2 years without any problems except for having to clean the heads 2 times in that time.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2003, 08:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Did you record in LP mode?

In my experience, LP tapes interchange between cameras very badly. SP tapes aren't as bad. I have a Samsung piece of crap and it plays OK on a Sony camera, except that the audio is gone for 1 second at every start/stop.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #4
Contributor

You might take a tape from the JVC camera and play it in the Sony. If it has a problem similar to what happened when you put the Sony tape in the JVC, then that probably means the JVC has its heads out of alignment a bit.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2003, 11:53 AM   #5
Tourist

I had this same problem on my GL-1 when I try to playback tapes that were shot on a PD-150. I think it was because the tapes were shot in Sony's proprietary DVCAM mode. I don't know if the VX2000 has that same option but if it does, you can switch it back to a normal DV mode and then your tapes should play on your JVC.
Old August 18th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #6
Contributor

The VX2000 only shoots DV.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion