DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Source for music (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/133858-source-music.html)

Bob Kerner September 21st, 2008 12:07 PM

Source for music

I'm looking for a source for music for my short educational films. I'm aware of Pump but need some other sources. My films are for educational pursposes and usually shown in a classroom but they occasionally make their way to my organization's website and--as you can imagine-the webmaster won't post anything with copyrighted music on it.

Pump, if memory serves me, used to have an academic category but I don't see it anymore. I really can't afford $450 for three songs (about 13 minutes of music) out of my personal pocket so I'm looking for a "Pump-like" site that has a fee structure that includes academic use.

Thanks

Bill Davis September 21st, 2008 01:32 PM

Search "Buyout music" on-line and you'll get so many hits you won't know what to do with them.

Seach "Cheap buyout music" same thing.

You might also investigate solutions like SmartSound that will custom score your projects in software using included or relatively inexpensive sample libraries.

The entire buyout music business has changed dramatically over the past decade and is nowadays less a "library" thing and more an on-line thing. Which has driven choice WAY up and costs - (often) way down.

It's still very possible to pay the kind of money you refer to for buyout music, but there are also magnitudes more choices where you can license a perfectly good music for scoring for remarkably affordable rates. Plus, you can preview cuts and buy just what you need on-line.

I tend to look at Creative Support Services, and Narrator Tracks when I need music, but those are just a couple among HUNDREDS of audio choices out there.

Good luck.

Mark Williams September 21st, 2008 01:35 PM

Try shockwave-sound.com

Andris Krastins September 21st, 2008 02:55 PM

I'd like to mention Jamendo : Home

Bob Kerner September 21st, 2008 03:43 PM

Thanks. Shockwave sound was very reasonable. I'm back on track!

Bruce Foreman September 21st, 2008 09:22 PM

I have to second the SmartSound (SmartSound Software, Inc.) recommendation. I have the Scoring Edition of SonicFire Pro 5.0 and the selection of music is great. The music is rich, full, and one of the most flexible setups I've seen.

Right now for a very limited time they have 6 new multilayer albums for $49.95 and purchase of just one qualifies for a free Express Tracks edition. I just jumped on the "Scoring Suite" album even though I already own the SonicFire 5 Scoring Edition.

Chris Swanberg September 23rd, 2008 08:04 PM

To the above list I would also add SONY Cinescore.

Chris Barcellos September 23rd, 2008 10:03 PM

Digital Juice Stack Traxx- each disk 20 themes (about) with various lengths each theme.

Magnatune.com has very inexpensive music, even daily free tracks that can be used in your productions.

Jim Michael September 24th, 2008 05:01 AM

Archive.org? Internet Archive: Audio Archive

Sean Vincent September 24th, 2008 02:55 PM

Music for video/film/web

Hello.

I compose bespoke music for Tv/Video/Film and web projects. I've had music used on several TV adverts on national broadcast in the UK as well as several releases in the charts on both sides of the Atlantic.

I work quickly and cheaply. I do buyout deals if necessary too.

For example: I write, produce and supply 3 minute pieces with 10 and 30 second edits for only £200 on buyout. I also guarantee that the same piece will not be used elsewhere for a set period of time. (depending on the project)

No idea if it's ok to let people know about my services on here, but it seemed relevant. Feel free to move this to another area of the board if needed.

Sean

Tripp Woelfel September 26th, 2008 09:59 PM

I'll echo the suggestion for Jamendo : Home. If you search in the appropriate Creative Commons license area you can find a lot of great stuff. It's almost all I use.

Oh yeah... did I forget to mention that it's FREE.

Steve Sprague September 30th, 2008 11:36 AM

Ive found Soundsnap.com to be excellent. I got most of the music Ive used so far from them. Free as well.

Curt Talbot September 30th, 2008 06:55 PM

Stock20.com is a popular site on this board.

Another one to keep in mind for other projects where you may need vocals is Rumblefish | Sonic Branding and Music Licensing

Curt

Oliver Pahlow October 8th, 2008 01:32 PM

free music

I compose my own music for all of my projects. I place free samples on my web site for film makers to use if it fits your projects and I also custom create when asked. Give it a look. The web site is growing and it is still a work in progress, but the music is there. I update it a minimal of once a month.

www.blindchildproductions.com

Regards,

Oliver

Mary Angelini October 23rd, 2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 943733)
I'll echo the suggestion for Jamendo : Home. If you search in the appropriate Creative Commons license area you can find a lot of great stuff. It's almost all I use.

Oh yeah... did I forget to mention that it's FREE.

I think I found Gold!!!
Thanks for sharing.