DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Need advice on camera for SD work only? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/133887-need-advice-camera-sd-work-only.html)

Nick Stone September 21st, 2008 11:33 PM

Need advice on camera for SD work only?

I have decided to stick with an SD camera rather than go with recording in HDV and then down converting to SD. Reason for this is that I believe for me that HDV down converted does not look good incomparision to SD from a great lens, camera combo. Also all my work is SD burnt to mpeg-2 DVD.
I know this is not an easy question to answer as there are so many different options either way.
I’m looking to upgrade or downgrade which everyway you look at it and I’m at a loss as which SD camera is the best choice for me.

This is what I’m after.
Shoulder mount:
At least 16x zoom:
16.9 format:
Balanced audio in:
Either tape record or card:
Good in low light at least 1lux
Price under 15K AUD

Is there anything out in the market like this?
I keep looking at the JVC range but now I’m going around in circles.

Andrew McMillan September 28th, 2008 12:43 PM

sony dsr500/ws - dsr570/ws or panasonic sdx900. there both ridiculously good. both can be had used for real cheap.

David W. Jones September 28th, 2008 02:29 PM

I was about to purchase a Panasonic SDX900.
I'm glad I didn't, as the down converted signal from my canon XH-A1 looks comparable for a whole lot less money.

Andrew McMillan September 28th, 2008 02:57 PM

are you sure the sdx is killer. the hpx 500 is based on it's chips. so I asume it would be better than the xl.

Kevin Shaw September 28th, 2008 05:19 PM

Also consider the Sony HVR-270U, which is a shoulder-mounted camera that can record HDV, DVCAM or DV and offers both tape and tapeless recording. The standard zoom range is a little short at 12X, but other than that it meets your requirements.

Gary Nattrass September 28th, 2008 05:30 PM

The key to going HDV to SD is not to just down convert it. I find that if I shoot and edit in native 1080i 50i HDV and then output to pro res 422 25p or 50i on the mac it looks a lot better once it goes down a step to DVD or SD.

The DSR cameras are the best SD only option, but as stated the S270 will give you DVcam shooting now on compact flash with an HDV tape for future use.

Nick Stone September 29th, 2008 03:17 PM

Thanks,
I'm using a sony Z1 at this time, so I think going to the s270 might not be the correct SD camera for me although I do like that camera for what it can do. I would like to get a 2/3 chip camera for SD images.

Nick

Don Bloom September 29th, 2008 03:22 PM

you might want to look at the DSR450. 16:9or 4:3 switchable (native 16"9 not squished) 2/3 chips, any lens you want (I think they came stock with either a 17 or 18) and it even has an LCD underneath the viewfinder. i got to use 1 a few times and fell in lust with it ;-)

Easy to use and handle and a great image. Throw an AB Hytron 140 on it and go for a few hours. Strictly SD but a superb camera. Actually is the replacement for the 570.

Don