See it's better for your health Not to upgrade to HD! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 26th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Major Player

See it's better for your health Not to upgrade to HD!

As I have been pondering the idea of upgrading to HD for home use. "I have a XH-G1 at work" I seem to be hitting a wall called the "Jaggies" It's bad enough in DV but it's also better then in HDV or MPG2 or AVCHD... basically the video Sucks when anything is moving... I guess you could justify this for a Doc. but that's it.... and I'm not an amature at this, I also don't have 10 grand for a camera....

So here's the deal... Why not use an intraframe codec, DV footage or You could even use DV Pal 4:2:0 or even better DVC50, Edit in a intermediate codec, "thanks to HDV we are used to this now" uprez using Topaz "which I don't have" ... ...

We can't complain about interpolation due to us justifying how well the Panasonic, and JVC looks.... and you MIGHT only gain 100 lines of resolution...

******and as a BONUS if you buy now****** you don't need to upgrade the computer you have. you don't need to upgrade the camera you have and you don't have to try and sell your old stuff either. BUT you can give great quality to your customers even in HD....

BUT you might change the sticker on the side of your camcorder to HD...

So what do I/we want and Intraframe HD codec with out the Jaggies "AVCCAM will not work" with a hard drive or solid state media camcorder that actually looks good....

OOOPPPS did I just say Red Scarlet?

But if Chris Hurd is watching I and maybe many more would love to see the Canon Shoot Out with the same camera HV20 shoot standard DV at the sprinkler then uprez the picture and THEN lets all see who wins?

just maybe I'm wrong.... but I'm stuck at "The Great Wall of the Jaggies"

OK I fell better now...
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Trustee

I'll contend that you must be doing something wrong. Yes, HDV can disintigrate with some action and it's got similar problems with moving water as DV. But, I shoot motor racing and I have no issues with the quality of HDV. Look at the "Eye Candy" section at the end of this: On Pit Lane-Episode 5 on Vimeo. I'm tracking cars moving at nearly 100 MPH and the images are stunning. That said, I've shot moving things where the artifacts are unacceptable.

In the final analysis my friend, there is no magic bullet. Well wait. There is but it costs a lot more that what you paid for your camera. Spend time shooting... a lot of time, and you'll learn what works and what doesn't. Good shooters learns how to shoot around his gear's shortcomings. They've been doing it for more than a century.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Tripp

the footage looks good... looks like 24p, what camera did you use? Also is it vemeo or what BUT there is ghosting in the video... watch the pan across the guy standing in the pit in RED... not really sure what that is... But again looks good.. But I'd still like to see a comparision with uprezed DV though...thanks for the reply...
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Bellaire View Post
the footage looks good... looks like 24p, what camera did you use? Also is it vemeo or what BUT there is ghosting in the video... watch the pan across the guy standing in the pit in RED... not really sure what that is... But again looks good.. But I'd still like to see a comparision with uprezed DV though...thanks for the reply...

Thanks Craig. It's actually 30p. The ghosting is an artifact of the transcoding to h.264. I've seen it a few times on fast action and I think it's a byproduct of interframe temporal compression.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion