DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   How can I improve performance? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/136136-how-can-i-improve-performance.html)

Brian Boyko October 15th, 2008 09:18 PM

How can I improve performance?

I'm using a MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM. Had it about a year now.

I think it's starting to feel sluggish... I think this is because I'm using external drives connected via USB2.0, combined with the fact that I'm using H.264 on a lot of my files (so that I can store the video in a smallish amount of space - I know it was a dumb move but I did it 9 months ago, and I don't feel like recapturing all 30 tapes and once again removing the pulldown.

I cannot afford to get a new Mac.

Here are my options:

Option 1: eSATA.

1) Should I get an eSATA connection for my PCIExpress slot? Only one of my external drives supports eSATA at this time but I'm probably going to sell all the drives and buy new, bigger ones, to hold all the data.

Option 2: Change workflow.
2) What's the best format for capturing and editing in an HV20? Should I (in the future) capture as ProRes (or capture as HDV and have it go through JES Deinterlacer as ProRes) Should I have JES Deinterlace recode it as HDV? Or should I have JES Deinterlacer simply output it as PhotoJPEG, as it has been doing?

Option 3: Build a Hackintosh.
3) I don't have any real qualms morally about building a computer to use an operating system I've legally bought. If I build a Hackintosh Desktop with a Quad-Core processor and just stuff it full of terabyte disk drives, it'll already be SATA, and I can use ProRES or whatever the hell codec I want - I'll have enough room.

What would you guys do in my case?

Michael Wisniewski October 15th, 2008 09:37 PM

I went the eSata route. Every project gets it's own hard disk. I use these Protective Hard Drive Cases. The only thing that's annoying, is that the eSata ExpressCard sticks out of the computer, but it's not a deal killer. You forget it after awhile. Don't know about AVCHD, but HDV edits well. The trayless/swappable eSata enclosures are a godsend for handling multiple projects. The more robust ones cost around US$200, the inexpensive docks where the drive sticks out run about US$50-$100.

Brian Boyko October 15th, 2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski (Post 951845)
I went the eSata route. Every project gets it's own hard disk. I use these Protective Hard Drive Cases. The only thing that's annoying, is that the eSata ExpressCard sticks out of the computer, but it's not a deal killer. You forget it after awhile. Don't know about AVCHD, but HDV edits well. The trayless/swappable eSata enclosures are a godsend for handling multiple projects. The more robust ones cost around US$200, the inexpensive docks where the drive sticks out run about US$50-$100.

Do you see a marked improvement in performance?

Michael Wisniewski October 15th, 2008 09:46 PM

I've never used an external USB drive so I can't compare. But my external eSata drives seem to give me the same performance as the internal SATA drives.

Brian Boyko October 15th, 2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski (Post 951852)
I've never used an external USB drive so I can't compare. But my external eSata drives seem to give me the same performance as the internal SATA drives.

What ExpressCard are you using? Some of these reviews are along the lines of: "Doesn't work. Creates Kernel Panics. Lost my data."

Michael Wisniewski October 15th, 2008 10:12 PM

I'm using a cheap Rosewill RC-605 SATAII ExpressCard 2 x SATA. Swappable enclosures from Wiebetech.