DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Makeup powder for shine removal? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/136225-makeup-powder-shine-removal.html)

Jeff Kolada October 17th, 2008 03:50 PM

Makeup powder for shine removal?

What are some good brands and general shades of makeup powder for shine removal for interviews and things?

Martin Catt October 17th, 2008 04:24 PM

I usually go to Wal-Mart and buy the least expensive translucent face powder they have on the shelf. A quick check of the field box shows I've currently got Rimmel London brand Stay Matte #001 transparent powder in the kit. I buy a new container every few months and toss the old one. With translucent, you don't have to worry about matching shades. The skin underneath provides the color.

No one's turned up their nose at what I stock, and if they did, I'd suggest they get their own (politely). Technically, it's not my job to provide makeup, but I do keep a bottle of liquid foundation in light, medium, and dark, plus matching powder and the aforementioned face powder to handle small emergencies. A few bucks spent might make the difference between delivering acceptable versus remarkable footage.

Martin

Sean Walsh November 2nd, 2008 10:25 AM

You could have a look at MAC....they have a studio line precisely for the shine issue - and usually their assistants are really helpful in picking the right product for your requirements. Studio Mac is used extensively in TV by anchors etc.

Chris Swanberg November 2nd, 2008 10:43 AM

I followed Martin's advice and bought the makeup at Wal-Mart... laong with a batch of clean application pads so I could always use a clean one instead of having subject share one. Whole thing was under $5. Takes up no space in my light kit.

M. Paul El-Darwish November 2nd, 2008 04:05 PM

Yes. All good BUT.
I tend towards the hypoallergenic brands for foundation (at least) just to be safe. Nothing's worse than causing talent to break out in a rash- a sure tip off to make-up un-professionalism. If I have to do the make-up I charge it to the project at the going rate/hr with a 15 minute minimum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Catt (Post 952574)
I usually go to Wal-Mart and buy the least expensive translucent face powder they have on the shelf. A quick check of the field box shows I've currently got Rimmel London brand Stay Matte #001 transparent powder in the kit. I buy a new container every few months and toss the old one. With translucent, you don't have to worry about matching shades. The skin underneath provides the color.

No one's turned up their nose at what I stock, and if they did, I'd suggest they get their own (politely). Technically, it's not my job to provide makeup, but I do keep a bottle of liquid foundation in light, medium, and dark, plus matching powder and the aforementioned face powder to handle small emergencies. A few bucks spent might make the difference between delivering acceptable versus remarkable footage.

Martin

Gary Nattrass November 2nd, 2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M. Paul El-Darwish (Post 958813)
Yes. All good BUT.
I tend towards the hypoallergenic brands for foundation (at least) just to be safe. Nothing's worse than causing talent to break out in a rash- a sure tip off to make-up un-professionalism. If I have to do the make-up I charge it to the project at the going rate/hr with a 15 minute minimum.

Easy answer to that, Talent is there to be pro and in front of the camera so it is their responsibility for their own make up much as they have to turn up sober and presentable.

Paul Mailath November 2nd, 2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 958860)
...so it is their responsibility for their own make up

sorry - got to disagree that one. I've appeared in 20 odd TVC's in the last 15 years and never carried makeup. On stage sure, but then I know what the director/audience want to see.

on a film or TVC it's up to the director & DOP to to decide on the look
... make the hair messier
... give him some bags under the eyes

since this post started on the 'shine' subject - as the talent I have no way of knowing if my face is shiny and where it's shiny. someone else has to see it and apply the remedy.

I think the el cheapo makeup kit is fine, a large soft brush for application is the usual method (in my exp.)

while we're on the subject, a can of hairspray and some hairgel can come in handy (gel is great for sticking down the wayward bit of hair or eyebrow) and some wet wipes in case the talent want to wipe any makeup off after the shoot (I've had a few strange looks when I forget to take the makeup off)

while we are all under pressure to become one person crews, a good makeup artist, like a good gaffer can save the day.

Gary Nattrass November 3rd, 2008 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 958871)
sorry - got to disagree that one. I've appeared in 20 odd TVC's in the last 15 years and never carried makeup. On stage sure, but then I know what the director/audience want to see.

OK I take your point but in these days of multi tasking I think the talent needs to take some responsibility if they are hypo alergenic to make up.

Here in the UK we are all having to compete for fewer jobs and everyone including talent has to be more flexible to get the job done in the most efficient time scales.

I dont think it would cost too much for all talent to carry a small kit of make-up that is suitable for their skin types and wont bring them out in a rash.

Paul Mailath November 3rd, 2008 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 958949)
OK if they are hypo alergenic to make up.

agree with that one for sure - anything like that should be covered by the person affected.

and you're right about the multitasking - On a recent TVC I had to bring a selection of clothes (happens all the time these days) and added to the production by staining the shirt & tie with sauce & coffee marks (I was a dodgy used car salesman)

What pisses me off is we are the ones being squeezed, the talent & the crew/production are having to do more and more while the agency pockets the difference.

Greg Boston November 3rd, 2008 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 958972)
What pisses me off is we are the ones being squeezed, the talent & the crew/production are having to do more and more while the agency pockets the difference.

With all due respect, Paul, the agency is likely getting squeezed as well. It starts from the top and rolls downhill. That may not be true in all cases, but increased competition for a shrinking advertising budget is likely at play.

-gb-