Makeup powder for shine removal? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Makeup powder for shine removal?

What are some good brands and general shades of makeup powder for shine removal for interviews and things?
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Major Player

I usually go to Wal-Mart and buy the least expensive translucent face powder they have on the shelf. A quick check of the field box shows I've currently got Rimmel London brand Stay Matte #001 transparent powder in the kit. I buy a new container every few months and toss the old one. With translucent, you don't have to worry about matching shades. The skin underneath provides the color.

No one's turned up their nose at what I stock, and if they did, I'd suggest they get their own (politely). Technically, it's not my job to provide makeup, but I do keep a bottle of liquid foundation in light, medium, and dark, plus matching powder and the aforementioned face powder to handle small emergencies. A few bucks spent might make the difference between delivering acceptable versus remarkable footage.

Martin
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You could have a look at MAC....they have a studio line precisely for the shine issue - and usually their assistants are really helpful in picking the right product for your requirements. Studio Mac is used extensively in TV by anchors etc.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Major Player

I followed Martin's advice and bought the makeup at Wal-Mart... laong with a batch of clean application pads so I could always use a clean one instead of having subject share one. Whole thing was under $5. Takes up no space in my light kit.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes. All good BUT.
I tend towards the hypoallergenic brands for foundation (at least) just to be safe. Nothing's worse than causing talent to break out in a rash- a sure tip off to make-up un-professionalism. If I have to do the make-up I charge it to the project at the going rate/hr with a 15 minute minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Catt View Post
I usually go to Wal-Mart and buy the least expensive translucent face powder they have on the shelf. A quick check of the field box shows I've currently got Rimmel London brand Stay Matte #001 transparent powder in the kit. I buy a new container every few months and toss the old one. With translucent, you don't have to worry about matching shades. The skin underneath provides the color.

No one's turned up their nose at what I stock, and if they did, I'd suggest they get their own (politely). Technically, it's not my job to provide makeup, but I do keep a bottle of liquid foundation in light, medium, and dark, plus matching powder and the aforementioned face powder to handle small emergencies. A few bucks spent might make the difference between delivering acceptable versus remarkable footage.

Martin
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:36 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Paul El-Darwish View Post
Yes. All good BUT.
I tend towards the hypoallergenic brands for foundation (at least) just to be safe. Nothing's worse than causing talent to break out in a rash- a sure tip off to make-up un-professionalism. If I have to do the make-up I charge it to the project at the going rate/hr with a 15 minute minimum.
Easy answer to that, Talent is there to be pro and in front of the camera so it is their responsibility for their own make up much as they have to turn up sober and presentable.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:06 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
...so it is their responsibility for their own make up
sorry - got to disagree that one. I've appeared in 20 odd TVC's in the last 15 years and never carried makeup. On stage sure, but then I know what the director/audience want to see.

on a film or TVC it's up to the director & DOP to to decide on the look
... make the hair messier
... give him some bags under the eyes

since this post started on the 'shine' subject - as the talent I have no way of knowing if my face is shiny and where it's shiny. someone else has to see it and apply the remedy.

I think the el cheapo makeup kit is fine, a large soft brush for application is the usual method (in my exp.)

while we're on the subject, a can of hairspray and some hairgel can come in handy (gel is great for sticking down the wayward bit of hair or eyebrow) and some wet wipes in case the talent want to wipe any makeup off after the shoot (I've had a few strange looks when I forget to take the makeup off)

while we are all under pressure to become one person crews, a good makeup artist, like a good gaffer can save the day.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:16 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
sorry - got to disagree that one. I've appeared in 20 odd TVC's in the last 15 years and never carried makeup. On stage sure, but then I know what the director/audience want to see.
OK I take your point but in these days of multi tasking I think the talent needs to take some responsibility if they are hypo alergenic to make up.

Here in the UK we are all having to compete for fewer jobs and everyone including talent has to be more flexible to get the job done in the most efficient time scales.

I dont think it would cost too much for all talent to carry a small kit of make-up that is suitable for their skin types and wont bring them out in a rash.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:53 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
OK if they are hypo alergenic to make up.
agree with that one for sure - anything like that should be covered by the person affected.

and you're right about the multitasking - On a recent TVC I had to bring a selection of clothes (happens all the time these days) and added to the production by staining the shirt & tie with sauce & coffee marks (I was a dodgy used car salesman)

What pisses me off is we are the ones being squeezed, the talent & the crew/production are having to do more and more while the agency pockets the difference.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 06:08 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
What pisses me off is we are the ones being squeezed, the talent & the crew/production are having to do more and more while the agency pockets the difference.
With all due respect, Paul, the agency is likely getting squeezed as well. It starts from the top and rolls downhill. That may not be true in all cases, but increased competition for a shrinking advertising budget is likely at play.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion