DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Vimeo Copyright/Useage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/136285-vimeo-copyright-useage.html)

Derek Weiss October 19th, 2008 11:41 AM

Vimeo Copyright/Useage

From their site.

Quote:

VIMEO shall be entitled to unrestricted use of any Submission for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to the submitter.
Perhaps this has been posted before. Sorry if it's a repeat.

Steve House October 19th, 2008 12:09 PM

And your point is?

Chris Hurd October 19th, 2008 12:16 PM

I don't understand the nature of the post. The policy you've quoted is pretty much standard operating procedure for any large video hosting site. Is there a question here?

Gary Nattrass October 19th, 2008 12:51 PM

YUP upload and give away all of your rights, you tube are already selling your clips to broadcasters and you get zip!

Derek Weiss October 19th, 2008 02:21 PM

My point was to hopefully incite discussion.

If this is the norm for hosting sites, I wasn't aware of it until now, and I found it a bit alarming and interesting.

Rick L. Allen October 19th, 2008 04:08 PM

Have to vote with Derek on this one. I don't mind a web video site selling ads but having unrestricted access and the ability to profit from other people's work without compensating the actual creator is ridiculous and in my mind criminal. I've started reviewing the terms of service agreements more thoroughly and pulled several videos.

Richard Gooderick October 19th, 2008 04:57 PM

I must admit that I hadn't noticed this. It stinks.

Allen Plowman October 19th, 2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 953026)
I don't understand the nature of the post. The policy you've quoted is pretty much standard operating procedure for any large video hosting site. Is there a question here?

will dvinfo have similar policies for video hosting when it becomes available?

Steve House October 19th, 2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen (Post 953110)
Have to vote with Derek on this one. I don't mind a web video site selling ads but having unrestricted access and the ability to profit from other people's work without compensating the actual creator is ridiculous and in my mind criminal. I've started reviewing the terms of service agreements more thoroughly and pulled several videos.

You overlook the fact that no one is required to post to sites with such policies. If you don't want to relinquish your control over future distribution of the piece in question, simply don't post it there and find some other way to get it into the public eye if that's your objective. In exchange for making your video available to the public at no charge to you, you give them the right to redistribute your work. They have compensated you by providing free hosting and distribution. They have to make a profit somewhere. If that's an unacceptable exchange for you, don't play in that ballpark. You're free to choose other venues.

Chris Hurd October 20th, 2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Plowman (Post 953196)
will dvinfo have similar policies for video hosting when it becomes available?

Similar as in "entitled to unrestricted use of any Submission for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to the submitter?" Heck no. I'm obstreperous but not draconian. I haven't written the TOS yet, but it'll most likely be something along the lines of "we're hanging banners on these pages; otherwise we can't afford to host all this video." Hopefully that's reasonable.

Kevin Shaw October 20th, 2008 12:53 AM

So are there any well-known video hosting sites which don't claim all rights to content posted on their servers?

Richard Gooderick October 20th, 2008 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 953239)
I haven't written the TOS yet, but it'll most likely be something along the lines of "we're hanging banners on these pages; otherwise we can't afford to host all this video." Hopefully that's reasonable.

That sounds very reasonable Chris.

I notice that the Vimeo terms also include this:
'For any Submission that is a video, the licenses granted by you herein shall terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete such Submission from the Site.'
which potentially sounds much more reasonable.
It depends upon whether you can define a 'commercially reasonable time'? This form of words seems a bit difficult to nail down.

Derek Weiss October 20th, 2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 953198)
You overlook the fact that no one is required to post to sites with such policies. .

Steve,

The only reason I posted this was to hopefully inform those who were unaware.

Dan Robinson October 20th, 2008 09:19 AM

If I'm not mistaken, YouTube's default TOS gives them the rights to use material for their own promotion/internal use only. You can set syndication options for each video you upload to either deny or allow them to distribute content to third parties. Their terms may have changed since I read them last, however.

Nevertheless, I think that placing any work, in its entirety, that you plan to sell or license commercially on a video sharing service is not a good business move. Web hosting is so cheap nowadays that if you're serious about getting the word out about your work, putting it up on your own site is not that much of a burden. 10 or 20 bucks a month will get you more bandwidth than you will probably ever use, unless your video is encoded at 20mbps and/or becomes the next viral sensation. If a presence on YouTube or Vimeo is desired, you can put a few short snippets and previews up and link over to your site where the 'meat' of the material is.

Gary Nattrass October 20th, 2008 09:30 AM

I suspect that all this will change soon as rights and copyright issues are starting to be addressed by people like PRS/PPL and ofcom as they move to licence web media.