shaky, jittery pans (and all horizontal movement) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 21st, 2008, 10:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

shaky, jittery pans (and all horizontal movement)

I'm sure this has been covered - but I've tried searching, problem is, I don't know what to search for. A point to the correct thread would be great.

My problem:

When I output a video (I'm using Windows Movie Maker - I know, I know) as AVI it is fine. But when I use other encoding, it comes out with a jittery effect on all pans. this makes it unwatchable.

Even when the camera shot is static, any horizontal movement (eg. somebody running) also has this effect.

I need to use a different setting as my 15 minute video as AVI from movie maker will be about 3 gig.

It is almost as though it is showing the frames in this order. 1-3-2-4

I've encountered this with other editing systems as well (avid), and seen it on tv several times. there are adverts on cable that have this artifact as well.

If someone knows the name, and how I can output a small file from MM2 and avoid this artifact, I will be very happy.

thanks.
Alex Butterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Butterfield View Post
I'm sure this has been covered - but I've tried searching, problem is, I don't know what to search for. A point to the correct thread would be great.

My problem:

When I output a video (I'm using Windows Movie Maker - I know, I know) as AVI it is fine. But when I use other encoding, it comes out with a jittery effect on all pans. this makes it unwatchable.

Even when the camera shot is static, any horizontal movement (eg. somebody running) also has this effect.

I need to use a different setting as my 15 minute video as AVI from movie maker will be about 3 gig.

It is almost as though it is showing the frames in this order. 1-3-2-4

I've encountered this with other editing systems as well (avid), and seen it on tv several times. there are adverts on cable that have this artifact as well.

If someone knows the name, and how I can output a small file from MM2 and avoid this artifact, I will be very happy.

thanks.
What export settings are you using when you render? What frame rate is the project in and what frame rate is the footage? It's possible your bit rate isn't quite right or it could even be your frame rate is in correct.
Emrys Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

the video was filmed on a sony handicam, NTSC, and is edited NTSC. I have the problem when I use NTSC export settings or PAL, makes no difference.

i havent touched the frame rate settings. I dont even know if its possible in MM. just taken a look and I cant find it anywhere.

when I experienced this before with Avid, somebody else changed some settings, created a new export default with the settings they wanted and that solved it. they could well have worked on the bitrate in there. but MM doesnt offer (as far as I can tell) that kind of control over the export settings.
Alex Butterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Wrangler

Alex, it sounds like the effect you are referring to is one that affects material shot interlaced. Interlaced video uses two fields separated slightly in time to create one frame. These fields are all the odd scan lines, then even scan lines every 1/60 of a second in standard NTSC video.

Here's the problem, if you render out with the fields in the wrong order, you will get the effect you mention. In order to have additional control of the output rendering in WMM, install the Windows Media Encoder 9 series.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion