firewire in, component out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 25th, 2003, 04:22 PM   #1
Wrangler

firewire in, component out?

I'm looking for a box that will take firewire in and send a component video signal out. I don't need a digitizer to capture analog video, I just need output.

Anyone know where to get a reasonably priced thing like this? I've seen expensive ones, but all the lower priced converters only have s-video out.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 05:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Boyd,

Check out this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=11784

I found these products, but I never went for them because I don't really trust their analog output. My hope for the future is a DVD recorder that will do Firewire -> component passthru without engaging the MPEG2 engine.

DAC-100 for $199 (DV <-> composite)
http://www.synchrotech.com/product-1...l#part-numbers

DAC-2 $699 (DV <-> component)
http://www.dvwarehouse.com/product_i...roducts_id/483
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 05:55 PM   #3
Wrangler

Thanks Gints! That's the least expensive one I've seen yet. Specs are here if anyone else is interested...
Old August 26th, 2003, 12:23 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi Boyd

also Canopus made a good Converter it's :
ADVC-500 firewire converter

**firewire converter-XLR audio, component, composite, S, BNC, controls for picture, etc.. the most comprehensive converter for firewire I/O for your computer, MAC OR PC

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/AD...m_advc-500.asp

Fawaz
Old August 26th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #5
Wrangler

Thanks Fawaz, but that gets a bit too expensive for me, and I only need output, not a digitizer. Does look like a nice box though...

Gints, I'm like you... I wish I could just get a DVD recorder and feed the component video out. I don't have any real experience with these however. Is it true that they all only pass out MPEG2 compressed component video?
Old August 26th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

> Is it true that they all only pass out MPEG2 compressed component video?

Boyd,

So far, that seems to be the case. I have not yet checked out the new Sony RDR-GX7 recorder. Sony used to publish their manuals on line on the sony.com site. Now, I have to go to the store to check it out, but I'm not even sure I trust the manual.
Old August 26th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #7
Inner Circle

None of the DV25->component video converter boxes in thsi thread list the specs of the conversion, not even video DAC speed. What's up with that?
Old August 26th, 2003, 04:02 PM   #8
Warden

I'm confused here. What do you want to know about, component video, MPEG2, DVD player output?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I'd like to know the DAC specs for the DV25->component out converter boxes listed above to see if they're even close to the
DAC quality offered by the latest round of DVD recorders.
Old August 26th, 2003, 05:38 PM   #10
Warden

The specs are listed on the link posted above. These devices convert analog composite video to FireWire (ieee1394) and FireWire to analog composite video. The higher end unit (DAC2) adds NTSC analog component video to the inputs and outputs. MPEG2 is not an option on these devices.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 26th, 2003, 05:52 PM   #11
Wrangler

The DAC2 does what I need, convert firewire to component. However all I need is output, not digitizing, so I have been looking for a less expensive solution.

I was thinking that a DVD recorder would have firewire in and also provide component out, so for a couple hundred bucks more I could get the capabilities of a standalone DVD recorder. But it appears that the DV25 would get converted to MPEG2 before going out as analog component in this case.

So I guess my question now is whether there's anything costing less than $700 that will take firewire IN and put analog component OUT?

And as a more rhetorical question, how come I can get a $100 DVD player with component output and a $200 TV with component input, but my $2,000+ camcorder(s) only have s-video output? Testing with a big DLP projector, the quality of s-video left a lot to be desired.
Old August 26th, 2003, 06:04 PM   #12
Warden

The DAC2 does not digitize, it converts analog, in various formats, to digital (FireWire) and vice versa (unless that's what you mean by digitize). As the ad copy states, it's the least expensive on the market at this time. I doubt a DVD recorder could transcode from analog to MPEG2 to analog component in real time. Keeping the audio in sync could be a real problem. Also, the MPEG2 encoding step would cause a pretty significant loss of quality.

Old August 26th, 2003, 06:08 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Jeff,

You scanned my posts too quickly. I was interested in DAC (Digitial-to-Analog Conversion ) specs. None of the links for any of the aforementioned products list DAC specs although the I/O options are clearly listed. Thus, there isn't even a way to compare the specifications (video DAC rate, video DAC bit resolution, etc.) of the units to those published for the new DVD recorders.
Old August 26th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #14
Warden

I think what is confusing is the use of the product name (DAC) and the use of DAC to mean A to D and D to A conversion. Since these devices convert to and from FireWire, I would assume they meet all requirements for IEEE1394 and DV video. Since DV is an 8bit medium I would assume it meets that spec. The devices are also listed as being FireWire 400 compliant, thus a rate of 400bps. If your looking for better quality, look at some of the Laird devices.

Old August 26th, 2003, 06:39 PM   #15
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : The DAC2 does not digitize, it converts analog, in various formats, to digital -->>>

I thought that was the definition of "digitize"; converting analog to digital? Sorry if I'm mis-using the term...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion