DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Tiffen Center Spot Filter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/137283-tiffen-center-spot-filter.html)

J.J. Kim November 5th, 2008 10:34 PM

Tiffen Center Spot Filter

Could not find good spot for filter question.
I want to create the shallow DOF look, but without adopters like Letus or Brevis, it's almost impossble with XH-A1. So I tried to crop the image on top of blurred image, but the edge is a little too hard to make it look natural (on Premiere CS3). Feather Edge will only apply to original clip, not on cropped image.
So I was thinking and thinking and....thinking... the filter came to my mind... so I looked through Tiffen's catalog and found the Center Spot Filter.
I searched the forum but not a single post about that particular filter here...
So I even googled it, but couldn't find much. There was one blog where it kind of compared a couple other center spot filter and it said Tiffen one did not do much.
I actually placed an order from B&H already (should have done this FIRST!) but I was just wondering if anyone use this and how they like it.

Thank you as always ahead of time.

JJ

Tripp Woelfel November 6th, 2008 01:13 PM

This is wild. I just did this in CS3. Here's what I did, although there might be a better way to do it.

- Export a frame from the scene you want this effect applied to.
- Open image in Photoshop
- Use the lasso tool to outline the area you want in clear focus (as loose or tight as you want)
- Go to Image>Select>Inverse to select the image you want to blur
- Find the "Refine Edge" button and click and adjust to taste (feather a lot for a smooth gradient blend)
- Create new layer and use the paint bucket to fill with black
- Delete the background image and save the matte to a new name

In Premier:
- Duplicate the video clip you want to adjust and place it in the next track up.
- Place the matte on the track above that
- Blur duplicated clip to taste
- Add track matte key to duplicated clip and select matte luma and reference the map you put on the top video track then tick the box "Reverse"

That should do it.

There might be a little trial and error to get the matte the way you want it, but it might get you the effect you want for no cost.

J.J. Kim November 6th, 2008 08:42 PM

Thanks for your advice.
I am gonna try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Thank you!

JJ

ps. I used to visit my best friend at Portmouth almost once every month when I lived in VT and Boston. Love New England!

J.J. Kim November 7th, 2008 10:08 AM

I think what you told me 'totally works'
I don't even think I have to create the matte for different footage since I can readjust the size of matte and I usually want round shape matte anyway.
Wow. this help me so much, Tripp.
Thank u!

JJ