Streaming video-Is this what You Tube uses? Help needed with Project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 13th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Streaming video-Is this what You Tube uses? Help needed with Project

I am traveling to China and will be shooting some industrial production video. In the past I have shot the video, rendered it as a WMV and sent it to the home office via FTP client. The problem is that some of these files are large and many of the employees are downloading the file to thier Local PC, exhausting thier hard drive space.

They have asked if there was a way i could produce the video and put it on on our website, a seperate website, etc so it could be played just like a You tube video.

You Tube is not an option as the videos are longer then 10 minutes and there is some proprietary info .

I currently use Sony Vegas Pro V 8.0 and Roxio Media Creator

Thanks
David Ruhland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Well. I would suggest doing this:

Setup a page with the JW FLV Player (you can use others but its what I know). Set the play file to a PHP file that generates a Playlist on the fly. I can provide one if you want. Then upload all the vidoes you make to the folder and they will automatically get added to the video page you create. I would suggest using mp4 files with the h264 video codec with AAC Audio. This will give you the best file quality and smallest file size. People will have to have a fairly recent version of flash 9.0.115 (currently version is 10.0) but it takes on a few second to update if needed.
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:21 AM   #3
Trustee

Try these guys:

Streaming Video Hosting Service, Web TV Channels, Whitelabel Video Publishing, Flash Streaming

Pay per view and good quality fast streaming hosting, there is also a free trial.

I use them for my pub web site and they offer several soloutions.
Old November 14th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #4
Major Player

You could use a password-protected page on Vimeo.
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Major Player

For workflow you can also look at MediaBatch. You can run that on your own or hosted servers (or rent from them I believe). You could also do FCS if yo were on Final Cut (and therefor a mac); just mentioning that for the lurkers...

If you just want them to view, protected Vimeo seems the easy choice.

If your files are truely huge and your client's disk have little space (left), even caching may be a problem. Your only resource then is a true streaming service (or build your own with Wowza).

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion