Software Video Mixer - Any interest? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 28th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #1
New Boot

Software Video Mixer - Any interest?

Hi,

I have been working on some software for quite some time that takes a variety of inputs such as:

* AVI, MPG, anything Windows Media Player can play.
* DVDs
* Video Capture (Analog and Digital, including BlackMagic Design intensity pro cards)
* DV and HDV sources via Firewire
* Images and slideshows (JPG, GIF, PNG)
* Powerpoint (simple frames, no transitions)

And mixes them (fade, cut) for output to:

* Primary monitor (all inputs + preview + output)
* Secondary monitor / projector / tv out etc (output)
* DV file (PAL/NTSC)

All with minimal delay (1-3 frames) when used with analog sources.

It has similarities to the Sony Anycast system which was my original inspiration.

Specs wise it can run on a modest dual core XP machine with a decent mid-range consumer 3d graphics card. (Currently running on a NVIDIA 7600 GS)

I am now wondering if there is any interest in this sort of software being made available commercially?

It is currently being used to queue up video clips at my church and has been used to output a three camera live production in the past.

I am unsure how it would stack up for "professional" purposes, but I am interesting in find out what people here think....
Martin Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Tourist

Hi Martin, I've been looking into software to do multi-camera switching to disk of DV cameras connected over firewire. Your software sounds really promicing, and I would be interested to have a look at it.

How would you say it compares to Wirecast or John Miller's DV Swicher ?
Andrew Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #3
New Boot

Mixing DV inputs as you describe would be possible, but since the program doesn't mix the raw dv data directly (as that dv filter does) it would require a pretty powerful machine to decode those streams and re-encode them to dv on the fly.

For that task you are better off going with something that handles DV natively such as CutFour:

AvTake CutFour, DV video mixing software, live DV video mixer, DV switcher, AV / A/V mixing, titling, video streaming, Avi Capture, Firewire mixer, audio switch, HDV, HD, Cut4

The idea of my program is to mix live streams for live display with minimal delay using analog sources. (DV has a unusable 0.5s delay for live applications)
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #4
New Boot

Attached is a screenshot if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Software Video Mixer - Any interest?-mixer.png  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:49 AM   #5
Tourist

Interesting.

I am trully interested in that. I have recently found some software (wirecast, some soft for VJs, DV Mixer PRO, AvTake CutFour... ) Some of them are nice but don't have fullscreen output, and some didn't worked. I would like to try your mixer. Would you dare to send it to me, please?

Last edited by Robert Herman; December 23rd, 2008 at 02:54 AM.
Robert Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

AvTake CutFour

Robert

Have you tried the AvTake CutFour it looks very interesting. I downloaded the demo but i can only see the top portion of the interface the bottoms camera monitors are barely viewable.

I have sent emails to tha company but no response not even an auto response, so don't know if they are a for real company or recently closed. I did see that there site shows new fatures like slowmo and pip. But there lack of response to my emails makes me nerveous about buying it.

Do you know of any simililar app

thanks
Ric Marty
Ric Marrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Martin! I'm just wondering what platform your software runs on? From what you said, it has the ability to playback video formats...would those videos be kept in an onboard hard drive? Does your program have scheduling capability? I'd really like some more info on your system! Is the programming complete? Any chance you could send it to me?
Matt Ratelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:19 AM   #8
Tourist

Hello Martin,
I need to use your software for a church in lebanon. We want mix 2 or 3 cams (crossfade) manually or (scheduled if possible) and use the output to broadcast to ustream or mogulus.
I wonder if you give us a copy of your software either free of charge or for a low fee.
NB: Is it possible to send the output to a virtual wdm driver so that it could easily be seen by ustream encoder of adobe flash media encoder...

Regards,
Marwan Tzenios
Marwan Tzenios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #9
Tourist

hello,
I'm intrested whats your price and is there any demo?
Tawia Pachuau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #10
Inner Circle

currently i am using VideoLan to get live video plus some logo or title out of a laptop.
I think an interesting feature would be to provide a program that take video from a capture device, a let you superimpose some text or logo, or make windowed video on a background.
this , without delay, since most of time , this feature is needed for live presentation.
with Videolan i still got .3 sec of delay so it is hardly usable.
the output can stay on the external vga output of the laptop, while control is made from the internal screen, so dual screen is a must.
Keeping output to VGA is gret since you can display high res graphics that would be impossible with video.
This looks very simple task, but it still needs to be found as a simple application.
I know i can use very expensive hardware to do that, but i think a simple eee Pc would be very cool.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:43 PM   #11
New Boot

Update

Hi,

Well it's been nearly a year! After testing it with a live production back in December there were a few issues that needed to be fixed before public beta testing could begin.

Most of the code has been rewritten and optimised extensively.

=================================
Features
(sorry if it is overly technical...)

* Support for standard Analog capture sources
* Support for 1080i HD video sources from BlackMagic-Design Intensity and DeckLink cards.
(Theoretically supporting HDMI, SD, HD-SDI, Component, S-VIDEO and Composite)
* Unlimited inputs supported up to hardware limit

---NOTE: HDV and DV input sources are NOT supported due to excessive hardware delay---

* Real-time output to a secondary monitor / tv out / component / hdmi (depending on graphics card capabilities)

* Real-time output at a customisable resolution with BlackMagic-Design cards
(HDMI, SD, HD-SDI etc)

* Real-time recording to disk in DV (for SD Video) or CineForm (for HD Video)
(CineForm not included)

* Video, DVD, Photos and PowerPoint inputs
* Real time overlay of any of the inputs over another. Alpha channel used automatically where supported by the source. (For example a PNG image)
* Screen Capture over the network. This allows another computer screen to be set as a program input.

Each input supports the following:

* RGB colour correction with customisable Black/White levels (for 16-235 to 0-255 for YUV)
* Deinterlace
* Sharpen
* Custom Aspect Ratio

System Requirements

The following system has been tested with 2 HD sources at 1080i mixed to a 720p CineForm output (and 720p screen output simultaneously) 25fps.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
2x Intensity Pro
NVIDIA 7600GS
3GB RAM
XP PRO SP3

Beta Testing

The program is now at the stage where I would like to see how/if it works on other hardware.

If anyone is interested in testing it out email me at mixer@marty.id.au

I would also be happy to answer any questions in this thread.

-

Martin
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:53 PM   #12
New Boot

Attached is a screenshot demonstrating real time overlay of HD video
Attached Thumbnails
Software Video Mixer - Any interest?-mixer2.jpg  
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #13
New Boot

Already said it in my e-mail, but I'd be interested in checking this out... :)
Kelly Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #14
Tourist

As would I... :-)
Cory Oswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #15
New Boot

Bump? Can we get this thing to try out? :)
Kelly Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion