DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Monitor: Is it needed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/138784-monitor-needed.html)

Michael Kushner December 1st, 2008 04:14 PM

Monitor: Is it needed

I'll be taping mostly corporate content...interviews in offices, tradeshows , client locations, etc. Is a small HD monitor worth the investment to insure quality video? If so, advice on type/brand (camera-mounted, portable, etc.) would be appreciated. I'm shooting with a Sony PMW EX3.

Thanks

Shaun Roemich December 1st, 2008 09:08 PM

My position has always been:
- if you have the time and ability to zoom into your subject, set focus on the most important part of the subject (for people, usually the eyes) and then compose your shot using either the eyepiece or the LCD screen, you don't NEED a monitor ASSUMING that you can accurately use zebra (or in the case of the EX series, the histogram) and can accurately white balance in the field OR have the luxury of doing colour correction in post.

I own a smallish (19") LCD HDTV that I will take out into the field if my producer REQUIRES an external viewer OR if I know I'll be conducting interviews from the side of the camera opposite the eyepiece/LCD screen. I use it fairly infrequently, but I'm glad to have it available IF I need it.

Battle Vaughan December 3rd, 2008 05:21 PM

External monitor

Personally I find it a pain in the neck, but one of my team swears by a 7" Varizoom lcd monitor which he attaches to his sticks with a plumbers-nightmare of Bogen clamps, for any kind of studio or setup stuff. Lightweight, battery powered, reasonalbly nice unit that breaks down into a book-sized case. Hope that helps ...// Battle Vaughan / Miami Herald video team

Michael Kushner December 5th, 2008 10:23 AM

Thanks Shaun and Battle

Craig Chartier December 5th, 2008 01:29 PM

Both Marshall and TV logic make a very nice 7 inch that is compact, multiformat ready, can be serviced, and can be powered by several methods. Again just because you have a tool doesn't mean you always need that tool, however it does enhance your production value -client wise - to have a good monitor.

Battle Vaughan December 5th, 2008 05:13 PM

Interesting item from another thread

This dvd player for $180 has a composite (miniplug) video input and some folks over at the sd /hd monitors thread are using this as an inexpensive and workable monitor, available, if I follow the messages, from, like, BestBuy:

Sony Model Number: DVP-FX820
Portable DVD Player - Black
Watch your favorite DVDs anytime you want with the DVP-FX820 portable DVD player. Boasting a swivel screen and rugged design, this device is perfect for people on the go.

Never mind the dvd part, it has a 7 -- or is it 8-- inch monitor you can plug your composite out from your camera (with adapters from rca to miniplug, see radio shack) I haven't tried it but the price is right and several people have said good things about the concept....//Battle Vaughan / video team / maimiherald.com

Michael Kushner December 6th, 2008 09:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to hold off and see what the Small HD folks come out with early next year.