DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Closed Captioning (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/139111-closed-captioning.html)

Matt Ratelle December 7th, 2008 12:32 AM

Closed Captioning

I've been asked to look into closed captioning. My client is interested in translating their video, and having it closed captioned in other languages. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Ervin Farkas December 8th, 2008 08:53 AM

What is the distribution media?

Edward Phillips December 8th, 2008 09:32 AM

I've used a company called CPC in Maryland for my CC. I send them a tape (usually minidv) and they can transcript it at $3 a minute and caption it at $5 a minute (there's also a initial fee involved). They then run you a master tape of your choice (or to save $ you can send them a blank tape to run it to) with the line 21 info on it and that can be captured into most NLE's like Avid. Problem is there's no fixing the video after that. Any effect or change to the video will rid the line 21 info.

They're also very helpful if you have any questions...

CPC Computer Prompting and Captioning Co.

Matt Ratelle December 8th, 2008 12:30 PM

Cc

The client is a church that provides CCTV programming to roughly 800 apartment units in a seniors home. They have a lot of Spanish and Russian speaking people attending, and would like to provide subtitled translations in those languages(which I should have mentioned originally!). I'm assuming the language will make it harder to sync up. They don't have a lot of money, and the final product will probably only be seen by about 40 people.

Perrone Ford December 8th, 2008 01:06 PM

Are you talking about live video, or pre-recorded. Makes a BIG difference.

Matt Ratelle December 8th, 2008 04:59 PM

They'd actually like to know about both. I think the first order of business will be for prerecorded content though.

Les Wilson December 9th, 2008 11:59 AM

Translating it and closed captioning are separate but you have to have the translation people regardless of whether you close caption or use a language audio track.

I've done one piece with translation voice over and it's a lot of work. It was headed to the Chinese government so it was worth it. Closed Captioning is on top of translation and if your translator can't create the transcription, then you need someone to do that too (as mentioned in earlier postings).

The Church I am involved with broadcasts the translated audio to FM receivers that internationals use. Translators sit in a room with a video/audio feed and a microphone. It strikes me that you could record a realtime mix of the main english audio track underneath the translated audio track so at the end of the service, you have a synchronized translated recording.

If you want to do the voice over translation in post, that's an option too. Final Cut Pro has a built in tool for that and you might be able to teach your translators to run it. YMMV

Matt Ratelle December 9th, 2008 12:20 PM

Thanks Ernest! I didn't even think of that technique! I have a bit of a home studio, so I could simply have the translator watch the tape, record their audio, and import into FCP and sync it up I suppose. What is that technique called in FCP?

Les Wilson December 10th, 2008 06:49 AM

It's called Voice Over. Look it up in the help. You bring the footage into FCP and while it plays, you hear the original track and FCP records from the input device. It lays down each "take" on another audio track so you pick the one you want.