Broadcast Quality? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 11th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #1
New Boot

Broadcast Quality?

I have been hired by a friend to shoot a 30sec. broadcast commercial I will be using the Canon A1 to shoot and FCP to edit, because I've never shot anything for television before I am wondering if there is anything I need to do in FCP to make sure that the video complies with broadcast standards. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Bob.
Bob Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #2
Major Player

2 things come to mind right away.

#1-check to see that the video format your delivering in is acceptable to the station.

#2- Watch your maximum white level. Cannot exceed 100 percent on an IRE scale. Apply the "broadcast safe" filter in the video filter/effects menu in Final Cut. This should clamp your whites to less than 100%. However, doing that when shooting is always preferable.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morgan View Post
2 things come to mind right away.

#1-check to see that the video format your delivering in is acceptable to the station.

#2- Watch your maximum white level. Cannot exceed 100 percent on an IRE scale. Apply the "broadcast safe" filter in the video filter/effects menu in Final Cut. This should clamp your whites to less than 100%. However, doing that when shooting is always preferable.
Thank You David. Another question, what would be an acceptable format to deliver it in?
Bob Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Have your friend- or you can do this yourself- get in touch with his sales rep or someone at the station where your spot will be airing. They will be able to answer all of your questions.

Are they broadcasting in HD or SD? This will dictate how you set up your camera and your FCP project.

If they want SD, you'll need a project set up for the NTSC standard. Its 720X480 at 60i. You'll need to find out if they accept 4:3 or 16:9 widescreen. If its HD, they'll have different requirements. If the sales rep can't help you, talk to someone in commercial production, or even an engineer. Anyone worth their salt will know.

As for media, one of the people above will let you know. Most places can accept DVDs. Other formats they might take include BetaSP, BetaSX, Digibeta, HDCAM, DVCPro, and there are others. If you're lucky, they'll have an FTP site and give you instructions on what kind of MPEG2 you can encode to send them. FTP sites are great especially if you're dealing with HD, as tapes are expensive.

David's right too. You'll definitely need to check your scopes and color levels. If your color levels go above 100 IRE, you won't notice anything on your monitor, but the actual broadcast image will flicker and look horrible.

Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you need help, as I've worked for a couple years in commercial production at a local TV station.
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn McCalip View Post
Have your friend- or you can do this yourself- get in touch with his sales rep or someone at the station where your spot will be airing. They will be able to answer all of your questions.

Are they broadcasting in HD or SD? This will dictate how you set up your camera and your FCP project.

If they want SD, you'll need a project set up for the NTSC standard. Its 720X480 at 60i. You'll need to find out if they accept 4:3 or 16:9 widescreen. If its HD, they'll have different requirements. If the sales rep can't help you, talk to someone in commercial production, or even an engineer. Anyone worth their salt will know.

As for media, one of the people above will let you know. Most places can accept DVDs. Other formats they might take include BetaSP, BetaSX, Digibeta, HDCAM, DVCPro, and there are others. If you're lucky, they'll have an FTP site and give you instructions on what kind of MPEG2 you can encode to send them. FTP sites are great especially if you're dealing with HD, as tapes are expensive.

David's right too. You'll definitely need to check your scopes and color levels. If your color levels go above 100 IRE, you won't notice anything on your monitor, but the actual broadcast image will flicker and look horrible.

Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you need help, as I've worked for a couple years in commercial production at a local TV station.
Shawn,

Thank You very much for the info. It looks like I have a little homework to do.

Bob.
Bob Bowers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion