Head cleaning question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 1st, 2003, 08:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Head cleaning question

Hi all.

I just got my VX2000 and I'm asking for advice on how often to clean the heads and what is the best product to use.

Thanks a lot.
Chris Obonsawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2003, 09:09 AM   #2
Wrangler

Use the cleaning tape that came with the camera or buy a new Sony cleaning tape.

Don't use for more than 5 seconds at a time every 50 hours of use or when the heads are dirty.

Don't mix tape brands. I recommend you use Sony tape which will NOT cause head problems. Others have good experience with other brands but once in a while, someone experiences problems with head clogs even thought they have not switched brands of tape. I've yet to hear of a Sony tape user complaining of clogged heads. That's not to say one cannot get dirt on a head from time-to-time regardless of tape brand.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 10:55 AM   #3
Warden

Follow the directions printed with the cleaning tape. Some tapes are formulated to be less abrasive, but require longer playing times. I have both a Panasonic and Sony cleaning tape and both recommend longer than 5 seconds. Never exceed the times printed with the cleaning tape.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2003, 06:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info. I only intend to use Sony tapes, as it seems to make sense to use the brand made by the manufacturer (somewhere there's a factory that makes ALL the tapes and just slpas different labels on them :-)).

I was curious about the head cleaning as my experience has been that tape machines get cleaned too often, so I wanted some real life experiences before I risked my camcorder. Thanks again, I appriecate it.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 08:30 PM   #5
Outer Circle

Here are some info links regarding miniDV tape:

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm

Since you are in Vancouver, you can find good deals on tape at London Drugs and Superstore. Just check their weekly advertising.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2003, 08:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Frank.

Old September 3rd, 2003, 09:13 AM   #7
New Boot

The cleaning tape manufacturer recommends a 10 second pass with the tape. Less time may be less effective. Note that just running a regular tape in cue FF or RR for a while clears most transient head clogs.
Bob Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion