What To Charge Charity or Non-Profit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 25th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What To Charge Charity or Non-Profit

I'm often asked to video non-profit or charitable events and am wondering what to charge or is there a standard for non-profits whose net worth is low but desire is high. As of Friday, I received a call to hall gear, crew, and sound equip 150 miles one way to tape (and do sound, lighting, etc) for a promoter who is bringing in 6 bands to raise money for a charity. They want me to make a dvd of the 6 bands to be sold to raise additional funds.

I would have to put the DVD together from A to Z including enhancing sound in the studio.

They probably will sell somewhere around 750 DVDs.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
Michelle Genrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Tourist

Non-Profit Pricing

In the situation that you describe, you are working for the promoter rather than the charity. Standard rates (yours) apply. Working with Charities and Non-Profits is not cause for an automatic reduction in your rate either. If you WANT to give a reduced rate that is up to you, but you are in no way obligated to do so. Non Profit does not mean NO MONEY. Simply that whatever they give to their charity is what is left (presumably) after all expenses have been paid. Expenses are rent, salaries, light heat power and subcontract work etc. People who work for non-profits take a salary just like a 'regular' job so there is no reason for you to discount your fees.
Jim Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'd have to agree with Jim on that one. For something like you described, the charity has likely hired a company to provide the entertainment, or to plan the entire event. They would pay this company a certain fee, and that company will then try to save as much money as possible while putting it all together to increase their profits. Companies like this will often be able to convince people to provide services for free, or for a large discount. In reality the charity never sees those savings, so you're not doing THEM the favour.

Here's the exceptions...
If you are working for the charity itself, you may be entitled to a tax reciept, which you can claim at the end of the year against your taxes. One other reason to give a good deal(and I'd try to convince them to give you a tax receipt in addition to this) is to trade for free advertising. If they put your name or website on a flyer, or anything that could give you more customers, you may find it worthwhile!
Matt Ratelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #4
Trustee

Are you hired by the promoter or the actual charity? When an event takes place that makes money, the promoter may keep about 95%, and only 5% goes to the charity! This was a big shock to me when I discovered the truth. Don't be fooled by smart-mouth promoters.

One of the biggest deceptions come from organizations that supposedly "help" firemen or policemen, especially after 9/11. I was one who was taken for a ride!

BBB of Hawaii: Police and Firefighter Organizations
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Great website Warren! I'm thinking I need to plan a trip to this Your City, USA...I think I could make a billion dollars off of them! LOL
Matt Ratelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ratelle View Post
Here's the exceptions...
If you are working for the charity itself, you may be entitled to a tax reciept, which you can claim at the end of the year against your taxes.
Ah yes, but then you need to claim the entire amount of the tax receipt as income and then "write it off" with the tax receipt. Your net gain here, monetarily or tax implications, is ZERO.

You'd be further ahead just doing a contra deal for advertising.
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:19 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Genrich View Post
They want me to make a dvd of the 6 bands to be sold to raise additional funds.
As well, the promoter MAY not have the legal or contractual right to do this, depending on who the bands are and who their management is. Most pro bands don't actually own the rights to their songs, nor can they grant usage rights. That is usually in the domain of their management company. Make sure that the promoter actually has clearance to do this or you MIGHT end up hauling a bunch of gear, doing a bunch of work and then having one of two things happen: 1. "um, we can't make the DVD so we can't pay you"; or 2. The friendly neighbourhood intellectual property lawyer shows up at your house and says "we're suing you for ten million dollars. Have a nice day"
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Are you hired by the promoter or the actual charity? When an event takes place that makes money, the promoter may keep about 95%, and only 5% goes to the charity! This was a big shock to me when I discovered the truth. Don't be fooled by smart-mouth promoters.

One of the biggest deceptions come from organizations that supposedly "help" firemen or policemen, especially after 9/11. I was one who was taken for a ride!

BBB of Hawaii: Police and Firefighter Organizations
The promoter is the one who wants this. The charity didn't request it. I'm not sure of the arrangement between the promoter and the charity but I do personally know the promoter and think the deal is pretty much on the up and up.

This type of thing has happened to me in the past. I found that a non-profit had received $1800 to have their group documented on video. They called me and wanted it done for free. I didn't do the job and I don't believe they ever did get their video documentation unless someone, perhaps a public access station, did it as a favor.
Michelle Genrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #9
Warden

Much of your work may not be tax deductible in the US. Consult your accountant, CPA etc to determine the current tax status of charitable work. A bill was before Congress to change the current tax law, but I'm not sure it passed. In the US you are only allowed to deduct actual expense, such as tape, DVD cost, transportation expense etc. Any labor, creative billings etc may not be tax deductible. A bill was (is?) in Congress to change this, but only actual expenses (not labor) may be tax deductible.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion