A question about solid state memory cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 5th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #1
Wrangler

A question about solid state memory cards

Just wondering, who makes the memory chips that go inside CF and SD cards? Is there just a couple massive manufacturers, or do a lot of the "brand" companies (SanDisk, Lexar, etc...) make their own?
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I believe Sandisk manufactures their own, and there are a few chip suppliers of the raw memory chips - Micron and Samsung come to mind offhand...

THAT said, be careful where you source memory cards, there is a fair amount of cheap Chinese knockoff (meaning labelled with name brands, but it's counterfeit junk) memory running around (especially on a site that rhymes with FLEA-HEY). I only mention this from personal bad experience with counterfeit Memory stick Duos, and fake mini-SD cards...

Counterfeit memory comes with special features like... the cards/sticks won't mount properly, give error messages, aren't the size listed (remarked 4G sticks with "8G" labels!), or cause data loss. Gotta be careful out there when trying to save a buck or two! Know your source!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion