DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Windows media player (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/140946-windows-media-player.html)

Guy Godwin January 5th, 2009 05:27 PM

Windows media player

I am having problem with Windows media player on my encoded HD footage.
Anybody else have this problem?

What media player is recommended for HD footage?

David Stoneburner January 5th, 2009 08:49 PM

Try VLC player. It plays just about anything.

Guy Godwin January 5th, 2009 08:53 PM

That is exactly what the folks at Adobe told me to do. However, the picture quality looks bad.

??

Perrone Ford January 5th, 2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Godwin (Post 989471)
I am having problem with Windows media player on my encoded HD footage.
Anybody else have this problem?

What media player is recommended for HD footage?

What problem? Could be a million things, so clue us in. My WMV encoded files play just fine.

Guy Godwin January 5th, 2009 09:06 PM

I am a newbie to HD.

I am getting a poping noise and delayed/jittery footage when I encode with anything H264. I get the same with anything that has the sound included. However, if I use MPEG2 with no sound I get great footage...with the sound the problem occurs again.

However, regardless of what I use the file plays fine in my NLE editing windows (Premire Pro CS3)

WMV files seem to be fine although the motion blur is bad. ( I think this is more of my frame rate though)

I have never had this problem with SD footage? The player works fine with all HD footage that has been scaled down to SD also...

just confused??

Perrone Ford January 5th, 2009 09:24 PM

Well,

At least now we know that you are using CS3. That's a big help. So let's start with the basics.

1. What kind of machine are you on? PC/Mac. What CPU speed? What disk configuration?
2. How much RAM is in the machine?
3. When you render to WMV, what settings are you using? What frame size (1920x1080 or 1280x720)
4. What camera did the footage come from? Was it shot interlaced or progressive?

Sounds to me that you are using some bad encoding settings and it's causing some problems, or your system is too slow for playback with HD video.

Answers to the questions above will solve some of the guesswork.

Guy Godwin January 5th, 2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 989616)
Well,

At least now we know that you are using CS3. That's a big help. So let's start with the basics.

1. What kind of machine are you on? PC/Mac. What CPU speed? What disk configuration?
PC
AMD Quad Core 9600 2.3Ghz

Disk configuration?? Not sure I am just using the internal partitioned C drive. (My external dies last week before I started HD ing)

2. How much RAM is in the machine?
4.0 GB (64 Bit Vista system)

3. When you render to WMV, what settings are you using? What frame size (1920x1080 or 1280x720)

Basic setting's
1080p 24f HighQuality
Output = 1920x1080

4. What camera did the footage come from? Was it shot interlaced or progressive?
I shot 60i, 1/60 (too slow I think) on a Canon XHA1

Sounds to me that you are using some bad encoding settings and it's causing some problems, or your system is too slow for playback with HD video.

Answers to the questions above will solve some of the guesswork.

For what it is worth. Playback of other peoples files is fine on this PC.

Perrone Ford January 5th, 2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Godwin (Post 989625)
For what it is worth. Playback of other peoples files is fine on this PC.

Trying to render to your system drive is a no-no. Trying to render to the system drive when that is also where the source file is... well, I am surprised it worked at all.

Guy Godwin January 5th, 2009 10:05 PM

If I understand you correctly.
I can only render to the system drive if the source file is in the same directory?
(which is what I got)

Should I try and external drive or a partitioned one?

Do you think this computer speed is enough?

Perrone Ford January 5th, 2009 10:54 PM

Computer speed is fine.

But you need to seperate the drives where you store and render your video, from where the operating system is located. Keep your video off drive c:\.

Partitioning does not make any difference. You want that stuff on a separate physical drive. And if possible you want a separate physical drive from where your source video is, and where you are writing the new stuff to.

I break this rule on my laptop, but it's really not recommended. I think this can cause some issues, but honestly, I think there is something else going on as well. Not sure what to tell you though. Maybe someone with Premiere can help you more.

Guy Godwin January 5th, 2009 11:03 PM

OK.
I actaully have a 500GB HDD out trying to get files recovered. I will replace it and see the problem went away.

I will have it connected with FireWire. I have a 100G external that is USB. I assume this will slow it too much also.

Perrone Ford January 5th, 2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Godwin (Post 989653)
I have a 100G external that is USB. I assume this will slow it too much also.

I'd certainly try that. Put the source file on it and render to the internal drive.

Guy Godwin January 6th, 2009 09:10 AM

I have not had much time to spend on this yet today. But the initial results are BINGO!
I have encoded a file on my external and it is the best one I have had in HD so far.

I think you nailed it.

Thanks for the help.

Perrone Ford January 6th, 2009 09:28 AM

Glad to hear it. Hope that all works uot for you. :)

Guy Godwin January 6th, 2009 09:51 AM

I actually started a new thread. If you have a chance and an opinion I would be interested in it.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/high-defi...tml#post989813

Karel Bata January 8th, 2009 11:30 AM

Check this out Performance of 1394 devices may decrease after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

Also beware that if you have firewire devices, and if you ever need to re-install or repair XP2, it may 'see' that you have firewire and then choose to be helpful and install a firewire network. What happens is that everything works ok on boot up, then a few minutes later the network kicks in and your devices mysteriously disappear. If this happens (man, this post was meant tot be short!) go into 'my network places' and disable the firewire network. p.s. You will find very little about this on the net: I know, for I was that cricket bat.

Yes, that was weird...

Guy Godwin January 14th, 2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Godwin (Post 989801)
I have not had much time to spend on this yet today. But the initial results are BINGO!
I have encoded a file on my external and it is the best one I have had in HD so far.

I think you nailed it.

Thanks for the help.

It look like I spoke to soon.
LIke I stated in the above reply...
I went out and bought a good fast external drive with the source files and everything away from the PC software and stuff and had the same issue occur again. I am starting to think that there could be an issue when encoding and using my PC for "other" stuff.

Adam Gold January 14th, 2009 11:21 PM

You really should take the folks at Adobe seriously when they tell you that you need to have the program and OS on a fast internal drive, and then all your workfiles on a separate fast huge internal drive -- as they specify on their system requirements page for all packages. Don't even try using an external drive for anything except backup -- the bus just isn't fast enough to handle HDV unless it's eSATA.

Quote:

I am starting to think that there could be an issue when encoding and using my PC for "other" stuff.
And never, NEVER, run any other programs when you are capturing or rendering. You shouldn't even have them on your edit PC. No Internet, no virus checker. Premiere is the fussiest program ever and will cause you tons of grief if you break the rules, as you've found out.

It doesn't matter if these requirements are unrealistic -- they are what they are and you can't negotiate or reason with Premiere. It just doesn't care. If you don't play by its rules, it takes its ball and goes home.

Guy Godwin January 14th, 2009 11:27 PM

My external is eSATA I just can't find a connector yet....I have been all over Cincinnati looking for one.

But I am wondering...why do you some renders come out just fine?

My internal is 7200rpm I assume that is fast enough.

I am currently moving the source files to one of my internal drives and about to render to my external. This is what I did when I thought I had it fixed.

Is it a bad practice to have source files on an external drive?

Adam Gold January 14th, 2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Godwin (Post 995196)
Is it a bad practice to have source files on an external drive?

Yes, unless it's eSATA.

Guy Godwin January 14th, 2009 11:46 PM

RAID1 ok? or do I need to be at RAID0?

Guy Godwin January 15th, 2009 12:04 AM

But what I don't understand is why does the clip playback in my editor window just fine?

Adam Gold January 15th, 2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Godwin (Post 995204)
RAID1 ok? or do I need to be at RAID0?

Not really related to the interface if it's only a single drive. But for multiple drives, 0 gives you speed but not safety, 1 gives you safety but not speed. A lot depends on how many disks are in the drive enclosure. I have 7 internal 1TB disks in RAID 5 with hot spare, for a total of 5TB capacity.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Godwin (Post 995212)
But what I don't understand is why does the clip playback in my editor window just fine?

Your edit window is a tiny low-res version that has much lighter data requirements.

But I should also make clear that the rules above are just general Premiere rules to help it work better overall and may not exactly be the cause of your problem.. Without knowing all your encoding settings, there's just no way to know. You could have a driver or codec problem or some other software is causing a conflict or using resources, or some oddball hardware somewhere or.... it could be a million things.

Karel Bata January 15th, 2009 04:33 AM

External drive? Firewire? RAID?

Check out DROBO.

It shows up as one big external drive. You can slot in several drives of different sizes. Start with two and add more later. If one goes down it tells you, you slot in a new drive (same size as last one or bigger), and it restores your setup automatically. They claim that with 4 drives in there you can lose two and you still don't lose your data! And it's cheap.

Unless someone tells me a good reason not to, I'm going to buy one. :)