What format would you shoot in ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #1
New Boot

What format would you shoot in ??

I am using a Panasonic AG DVX100B to shoot Race Events - Super cross , Moto Cross , Free Style - so on.....What would be the best format to use.....24p - 60i - 30i ...im new to the 100B any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Cabrera
Randy Cabrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Trustee

I shoot motor racing cars and I shoot exclusively in 60i. Makes for better slomo than 30p. I think you can get away with 30p pretty easily and have it look good. For example of the frame rate, look at ABC and ESPN. They broadcast (and I assume shoot) in 30p and I think their visuals are fantastic.

I think 24p would be too slow of a frame rate and you'd get some bad judder if you were panning to follow a bike. The bike would be fine but the background would be balled up.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #3
New Boot

I shot in 60i and it looked good....is there any other setting like shutter speed when filming 60i that i should fool with any menu setting so on?
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #4
New Boot

I guess what i would really want to know is....do 30p and 60i look the same other then frame rate?
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #5
Inner Circle

No, they don't. With 60i you'll get interlacing. With 30p you'll get motion blur. Neither is noticeable when viewed at regular speed, but 60i will make for smoother motion, as you have 60 (half-res) pictures per second rather than 30.

BTW, ABC/ESPN Sports are exclusively 720/60p, not 30p, to my knowledge, as is Fox. CBS and NBC are 1080/60i. Some cable shows are 1080/30p if they want a cheap version of the "cinema look," but you'd never use this for sports or fast motion.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion