DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Should I switch from HV30 to XL1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/141397-should-i-switch-hv30-xl1.html)

Jackie Morton January 11th, 2009 11:44 PM

Should I switch from HV30 to XL1?

I'm really new at this and wanna start filming shorts - got an HV30 and filmed some stuff, and I think it's a really great little camera. But before I start buying stuff for it (wanna get a steadicam and everything), should I maybe just get an XL1 instead? How big is the quality difference between those two, and is it worth the sacrifice in size?

Chris Soucy January 12th, 2009 12:50 AM

Hi Jackie...........

Suggestion:

Do a lot more reading here. And keep your hand off that credit card till you KNOW what you NEED (note: I didn't say Want.)

CS

Pete Bauer January 12th, 2009 01:05 PM

Jackie,

Do you mean the "XL1" (out of production SD camera) or the HDV camera "XL H1?" If you do mean the older XL1, I'd have a hard time recommending it even though it would allow you to practice manual exposure control. It is missing so many of the useful newer features of XL, XH and competitor cameras that will, at higher purchase price, give you a lot more capability/flexibility to learn on. If money's tight, I'd certainly agree with Mr. Soucy to take your time, get everything you can out of HV30 and do a lot of online study.

Even if you need a more larger, more "professional" camera, I believe there's always a role for a pocket-sized camera. I have two XL H1 cameras and my little HF10 gets a lot more regular use because it fits in a large pocket.

Jackie Morton January 12th, 2009 09:00 PM

Unfortunately, I did mean XL1 - I can't afford XL H1. :( So your advice would be to stick with the HV30 until I can afford an XL H1?

Bill Pryor January 12th, 2009 09:05 PM

The XL1 has been out of production for some time, so you'd have to get a used one, and it's going to look softer than the HDV picture from your HV30. And, even Youtube is 16:9 now. I would stick with what you have, until, as suggested above, a need arises.

Kyle Ross January 14th, 2009 01:04 AM

I actually have a very similar question. I'm kind of in the same situation, although I don't have an HV30 right now.

I was thinking, with the new HV40 coming out, HV30 prices may dip. Even if they don't, I'd be spending $1000 tops on it, since that's what they cost new. Couple that with a 35mm adapter (like Letus35) and some 50mm lens, I'd probably be looking at a $2000 complete package. HD, 1080, 24p or something like it, and DoF.

Conversely, I could spend $2500 on a Canon XL2, which would give me 16:9, 24p or something like it, and SD. I'm not too sure how good the DoF is for a Canon XL2.

Which camcorder is going to give me the better picture, which would you guys recommend?

(My personal offering to the original post is skip the XL1; it's really old, outdated and there could be issues with the camera. Even if you're only upgrading to the XL1S instead, I hear it's much better. Still no true 16:9 though!)

Andy Olson January 14th, 2009 11:22 AM

Why don't you look at the XHA1? You probably could pick up a used one for about what you will pay for an XL1. Then you have you HD and more manual control than the HV30.
It's actually probably cheaper then a used XL2 and maybe a little more than the XL1 used but you will get HD and SD.

Best,
Andy

Nicholas de Kock January 15th, 2009 04:21 PM

Anything other than HD is a waste of money period! I have two XHA1's great cameras, stick with the HV30 until you can afford better, don't even look at anything SD!!

Ken Hull January 16th, 2009 01:44 AM

Check out the Sony HVR-A1U

Jackie,

The Sony HVR-A1U is a respectable semi-professional hi-def camcorder at a reasonable price. It's got some professional features like XLR mic inputs. And there's a $200 rebate available right now.

Ken

P.S. -- I just saw your other post, asking about wide angle lens and mic for HV30. The A1U zoom goes quite wide without need for add-on. Also, the A1U comes with an XLR mic (which should do until you're ready to spend $250 for a better shotgun mic).

Tom Hardwick January 16th, 2009 02:15 AM

Even though Nicholas says anything other than HD is a waste of money, I think the main, up-front reason you shouldn't go for the XL-1 option is its 16:9 performance. As you've found out Jackie, the HV30 is a really great little camera, and even if you film in SD for the next 3 years, its performance in the 16:9 mode will knock the ancient XL-1 into a cocked hat.

So stay with it. Learn the craft shooting and editing in today's aspect ratio and when the time comes when you *need* (well said Chris) something bigger, better, heavier and more expensive (note I didn't say sharper, the little Canon is so good) then the thought won't leave you and you'll know it's time.

tom.

Chris Hurd January 16th, 2009 08:59 AM

If you already have an HV30, then keep it and start shooting.

It is superior to the XL1, which is an 11-year-old camera.