Canon GL1 vs PANASONIC PVDV951K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 27th, 2002, 02:28 AM   #1
DoubleUp

Canon GL1 vs PANASONIC PVDV951K

Can you please help. I want to get either a Canon GL1 or a PANASONIC PVDV951K. The GL1 is more money, but not by that much. Just wondering if it is worth it? Both are 3CCD. And have Manual everything.
Thanks all
Double UP
P.S.
If neither of these what do you recommend
Old March 27th, 2002, 06:04 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

A lot of folks aroundf here will think I'm sounding like a broken record, but there's a very important feature the Canon camera has and the Panasonic doesn't, and that's a LANC jack. This makes it possible to plug in a tripod pan-handle mounted lens controller for proper zoom and focus control. See my reviews of various VariZoom controllers on www.dvinfo.net and www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm in the Articles section for more info and for why this is very important. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2002, 11:03 PM   #3
DoubleUp

That is an interesting option I didn't know it had. Does the GL1 picture quality come close to the XL1? So I take it that getting the GL1 is the better option than the panasonic because of its features or Quality?
Thanks
Double UP
Old March 27th, 2002, 11:43 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The GL1's footage has the same general "feel" as that of the XL1. That is, with some care you can actually mix footage from each without noticeable difference. (Note, however, that the XL1s features more image adjustment than either the XL1 or the GL1. You can actually make it look like a completely different camera with some practice.)

I heartily recommend the GL1 if you're looking for a relatively small high-quality camera. In addition to having the LANC port (that Chris mentioned) it is relatively light, quite durable, has outstanding optics (Canon's strong suit), outstanding optical image stabilization (another Canon strong suit), excellent power options, both a flip-out lcd and viewfinder, etc.

Personally, rather than the Panasonic, I would be inclined to compare the GL1 to the Sony VX2000 if I were making such a purchase today. Both are excellent choices that won't let you down.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2002, 08:52 AM   #5
Wrangler

Check www.findingelectra.com

If you would like to see what you can do with a GL1, go checkout www.findingelectra.com. It is an excellent site and shows just how impressive the GL-1 is.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion