High Quality Audio with SR-12? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 30th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

High Quality Audio with SR-12?

I'd like to record high def video of solo acoustic fingerstyle guitar, with high quality audio. I have a Sony SR 12 which provides great video quality, but the audio is not so great and the audio options are next to none. I have several top quality condenser mics that I would like to use. Tapeless is great and it has spoiled me, so I have not sprung for a camera like the Canon XH A, which would allow xlr connection of the mics. I've been waiting for a tapeless version of that camera or similar, but it doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon.

Is there a solution that's simpler than recording the audio separately and then attempting to sync it to the video in post? I'm not even sure how to do that.

Thanks for any help!

Len
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Major Player

I assume the mics you already have have an XLR output jack. If this is the case, you could get one of the portable pre-amp or audio adapter boxes whose main function is to convert balanced audio input (via XLR input sockets) and output the signal via their built-in 3.5mm mini jack which plugs into your camera's mic input. JUICEDLINKS and BEACHTECKS are two major manufacturers of such boxes. Most of these boxes have at least two XLR input sockets, one for each channel of audio whose levels can be controlled separately. Some can provide power to your mics if your mics require phantom power. Some can't but these are what you need if your mics are already battery-powered. All of them are designed to mount directly on the camera, underneath via the tripod socket.

If your mics have mini jack output, find a mic holder with shockmount (to minimize noise and vibration) that can be mounted on a standard coldshoe or bracket (of various designs) that mounts on the tripod socket of your camera. Best is mounting the mic normally on a mic stand and wire it to the camera.

Hope this helps
Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. The mics I have are all xlr connected. The problem is the camera, it has no audio controls. There is no option to control the volume level of separate channels, as far as I can tell.
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Your option without using an external audio recorder will be limited to riding the camera's auto gain at different input levels from one of those XLR pre-amp boxes. You could control left/right channel separately from there but you still can't control the exact levels of BOTH channels at your camera's end because of the auto gain.

A few low-cost compact consumer HD camcorders offer manual audio level control which will make life easier for you as I have one of those myself. If you want to stick with your SR12 I'm afraid your only solution is to go with an external recorder with the additional costs and hassles in post.

Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Comprehensive | EXF Stereo Mini Male to XLR | XLRJ-MPS-18INEXF

Just buy this hook up your XLR mic and turn the mic setting to low and you'll be fine.
Ken Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:31 PM   #6
New Boot

I think there is a volume control in my SR-12, in the menu section. You can buy a dongle to adapt to the XLR or, you can purhase the Beachtech.
I would go with the latter.
John Gibbins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion