DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Do you have analog out on your edit comp? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/14398-do-you-have-analog-out-your-edit-comp.html)

Matt Gettemeier September 11th, 2003 01:13 AM

Do you have analog out on your edit comp?

If you don't have an analog out on your editing computer you should get one set up. A cheap 13" tv that's fed an analog signal can sure save you some headaches as far as color correction and countless other issues.

I've been working on a project with a few people who all have avid systems... but the one we're using to edit does NOT have an analog out to watch what's happening. The project isn't my baby and the editing job isn't either... I'm just helping.

Even though I only use premiere I can tell ya' that you should do whatever you have to get analog out, asap... I forgot just how hard it is to get the picture and sound right when all you're going by is the editing computer.

No tv ever looks as good as the computer and virtually no tv will sound as good as your computer speakers. Yeah yeah, I know some of you have the shiznit on tv's but I'm speaking for MOST people who will see our little productions.

The gist is that a couple of our crew spent all day editing this project and it didn't look like what was expected when viewed on a regular tv... this could have been easily avoided.

Save work, time, and money... spend the bucks to set your system up with a little tv to serve as a "real-world" monitor.

Rob Lohman September 11th, 2003 06:38 AM

A TV (or studio monitor) hooked up is a very good thing indeed.
I edited my movie without one but when I went into the final
editing stages and started to work on color correction I hooked
one up.

If you have a camera most of the time it is very easy to setup.
Just hook the TV up to your camera and plug the camera in
your editing system. Done.

Bill Pryor September 11th, 2003 09:46 AM

I've never seen an Avid editing suite without an NTSC monitor. There is no way you can judge color, etc., without one. You must be editing with a guy who only does web stuff or something.

Matt Gettemeier September 12th, 2003 01:26 PM

He's got a nice monitor sitting right on his desk, but he couldn't get a feed to it I guess. All I know is he screwed with this project for a while and it wasn't colored correctly when we popped it in his tv in the living room.

As he kept playing previews it only showed up on the comp but not the tv so I don't know what the deal was?

I just wanted to toss this idea in here for anybody who doesn't have a tv next to their comp yet. It's a lifesaver! Both for sound and picture.

Jeff Donald September 15th, 2003 08:31 AM

Some of the older Avids worked in RGB and you needed a special transcoder to get NTSC out. It was all PCI or Nubuss based. The card should output NTSC and he should be able to loop the signal from his deck to the monitor.