time lapse tips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 21st, 2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

time lapse tips

I'd be interested in hearing some advice for good time-lapse shots....
1. What are the best settings for your interval recording?....how long record-run/minutes?
2. What are the best setting when editing?....like maybe the first 5 frames from each exposure?
3. I know there are a wide array of software differences but what sort of work-flow is used to edit the frames you want to use from each recorded sequence?....and how do you get around(or do you?) the auto-indexing of capture software that will assign a scene for every second captured in this case?
4. What are some tips for shooting time-lapse in regard to protecting the cam which is left for long periods.....Like what do you do?....bring a good book and sit in the car with the cam within a close proximity?
thanks all in advance....
Len Imbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Imbery View Post
I'd be interested in hearing some advice for good time-lapse shots....
1. What are the best settings for your interval recording?....how long record-run/minutes?
People seem to forget one thing: time lapse is a series of still pictures. Using a video camera for time lapse is an incredibly roundabout, complicated and counter-productive way of doing time lapse.

You need to take a series of still pictures, use a still camera. You'll get a much higher resolution from a $200 camera than from a $10,000 camcorder.

Get a reasonably good digital still camera for your time lapse.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM   #3
Major Player

I disagree re video vs still camera. Many camcorders these days have still image capability. I have created some very pleasing timelapse recordings with my HC1 using the memory card. I use a controller to trigger the capture via LANC.

Recording to tape as video has an advantage (for short periods - less than a tape's worth) - you get every frame and can choose your interval in post rather than having to calculate/guess everything beforehand.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Trustee

Interval recording time varies depending on subject, just like shutter and aperture depending on the desired effect.
Lately I have been setting the intervalometer to trigger a 3 shot bracket for HDR time lapse work on a dual axis motion control head.
This gives great high definition panning time lapse shots.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Trustee

To try and answer your questions...
Quote:
Depends upon what you're looking for. If you have something in mind that you're looking to do then you can guestimate what you need. IMO if you're recording clouds an other natural things like that, a 10:1 factor works for me.
Quote:
2. What are the best setting when editing?....like maybe the first 5 frames from each exposure?
If you're picking out individual frames, you're working too hard. Any NLE worth its salt has a speed effect. I use Premier Pro which can crank up to 1000% (10x). You can go faster by putting a clip in a timeline and maxing the speed. Then nest that timeline into another timeline and set your speed again. Note: If you have PP, make sure to turn off frame blending.
Quote:
3. I know there are a wide array of software differences but what sort of work-flow is used to edit the frames you want to use from each recorded sequence?....and how do you get around(or do you?) the auto-indexing of capture software that will assign a scene for every second captured in this case?
Huh?
Quote:
4. What are some tips for shooting time-lapse in regard to protecting the cam which is left for long periods.....Like what do you do?....bring a good book and sit in the car with the cam within a close proximity?
My ADD prevents me from capturing more than about 10 minutes or so. I did once leave my camera in a field and walked the 1/4 mile to get my car and drove back. No worries. Generally speaking a rain cover will keep most of the ambient schmutz out. If it's hot or very sunny, an sun umbrella couldn't hurt. Just attach it to a c stand or something like that. Common sense will tell you what you should do.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion