DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Book recommendations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/144578-book-recommendations.html)

Philip Younger February 25th, 2009 04:33 AM

Book recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good book on videography?

A book that gives good technical information and explanation, that explains all the terms and what they mean / do what the implications are of doing 'X' or using 'Y' etc...

A videographers companion if you like that can take your from start to finish and especially if it relates directly to the A1/G1

Daniel Caruso February 25th, 2009 07:10 AM

hello philip, this book helped me a lot when i was starting with all of the various lingo and explanations. super thick jammed with up to date knowledge on film. some stuff does not go too indepth, but gves you a great understanding on the subject.

Amazon.com: The Filmmaker's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for the Digital Age: Steven Ascher, Edward Pincus: Books

dan

Daniel Browning February 25th, 2009 10:29 AM

I really enjoyed "Cinematography", 3rd Ed, by David Mullen et al.

Garrett Low February 25th, 2009 07:06 PM

I would second Daniel Caruso's recommendation. It is an excellent book that covers a great deal of filmmaking subjects and the latest edition has a lot of info on HD video.

Garrett

Philip Younger February 26th, 2009 05:59 AM

Thanks guys I'll look into the recommendations.
There are so many settings on the camera and things you can do in post, that and all the termination means that I feel the continual need to advance further and deeper into this 'art'.

Daniel Caruso February 26th, 2009 07:28 PM

so true philip. the learning is endless in this subject. however i have found myself so twisted sometimes wanting to learn so much at once, that i ruin myself to even think of what i know. i often find myself picking apart tv shows and movies wondering and seeing if/how i can do that. and if not i really want to learn how. this book is great to give you the knowledge to go on your own to experiment. i have learnt most from just going out to shoot and try to manipulate my footage to how i want it to look from my idea. im not too sure what you are editing(hoping is finalcut =] haha) but the apple pro training series books are golden to learning post. i found it gave the needed stepping stool so i now can wonder around the program on my own. amazon has them for super cheap, if your on fcp(or anyting else for that matter), these books are also handy to understanding this so called 'art' =].

dan

Lou Bruno February 27th, 2009 07:22 AM

There is a a book that is almost like the BIBLE of Cinematography:

The 5 C's of Cinematography by Joseph V. Mascelli, A.S.C.

Chris Hurd February 27th, 2009 08:13 AM

Moved from Canon XH to Open DV.