JVC Cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 12th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #1
Major Player

JVC Cameras

Are JVC camera's (non HD) just not popular among the people that frequent this website? I don't see any thing writen up in the past about the DV-5000, 500, 550, etc.

Are they the Toyota Datsun of the camera world?
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Have you read about this one? JVC Professional Features page

A JVC representative pointed it out to me and it looks very, very interesting!
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I think it might be that the 500/5000/5100 are kind of in the circle of the Sony 300/500 series. Great cameras but older and a bit out dated. The 500s were and probably still are quite popular with schools and small stations becaue of the lower price and availability with studio setups. I don't think there's a better setup out there for the money and the 5000/5100 cameras are great pieces of gear for the money but pretty old. Since JVC came out with the HD100 series the 5100 et.al. production seems to have stopped or at the very least slowed way down. Not too many people buying new 4:3 SD cameras anymore.
There USED to be a small but dedicated bunch here with the JVC cameras but the group kind of died out. See above ;-)
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Strange how a $5K camera that came out in 2005 can be considered "old".
Why do they make these cameras to last a lifetime?
Chris Basmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #5

I think, it might be called "marketing".
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Or a changing marketplace. A 1970 Pinto will still get you to the store and back. Is it harder on the environment and less attractive to the eye (and less fun to drive)? Perhaps. If all you ever do is drive to church on Sunday for a total of 4 miles a week, do you need a Hybrid Japanese import with near zero emissions? Probably not but you MAY choose to anyway for the fun of it, the prestige or just because you WANT to.
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

There used to be another forum site on the web devoted to the DV500 / DV5000 series of JVC camcorders... it was pretty popular. All of those camera owners went to that site, so we were never able to attract much attention for them here. Of course now that other forum is no longer online; it went away long ago.

I don't think it's accurate to say we're not getting any action for JVC's non-HD cameras; it's pretty much that way all around for non-HD cameras here no matter how the manufacturer is... our Canon, Panasonic and Sony 3-chip standard def camera boards have fallen waaay off in recent times. They're all basically at a crawl around here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Major Player

The talk about SD cameras maybe at a crawl, but my clients never ask about HD (except once) and several other videographers that I know do not get much inquiry about HD, if any. So...does that mean the buzz and interest of HD camera's is mostly inside the video profession? Because the clients, or at least most of them that I know about, are opting for widescreen SD.

It seems to me that video shot in wide screen SD and in good light is quite sufficient for most clients, making them less inclined to spend more money for HD.

Of course, some videographers shoot in HD then downconvert perhaps. Also, maybe we're on a curve, working out the bugs, understanding the techniques, requirements and such about HD and HD cameras and the clients will soon be clamoring for HD....

We'll see...
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:04 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I don't get many HD requests either, and i' m not ready to give up my 1/2", manufacturers seem to value size over resolution, so do i.
Chris Basmas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion