don't know where to ask a vhs question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 16th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

don't know where to ask a vhs question

so I'll ask it here. If your projects need to go out to VHS what kind of VCR do you guys use. I have a really old crappy one but should I think about getting one with more heads, hi fi sound etc...The reason I want to get another one so I can get one with s-video for easier connections to camera/computer.

Will anyone really do?
Jake McMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:43 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I use old crappy ones which I find. I check them out, repair/clean them if they need it---as long as it doesn't cost me a bundle. The really really old, but higher end, (solid/massive/heavy) VCRs seem to last the best and do the job the best. Plus you can find them cheap at pawn shops.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 11:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

do the older ones have s-video ins/outs? Do you record from the computer through a camera or deck out to a VCR or do you record to dv tape then playback on a tv while recording with whatever VCR? Does it make a difference?
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:51 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Jake, you asked about VHS VCRs. Now you want to know about SVHS VCRs? Yes I have SVHS VCRs as well, but they aren't old.
Quote:
do the older ones have s-video ins/outs?
No.
Quote:
Do you record from the computer through a camera or deck out to a VCR or do you record to dv tape then playback on a tv while recording with
whatever VCR? Does it make a difference?
I mainly record from VCR to VCR or from SVHS VCR to VHS VCR (this is better, S-video out ---> SVHS VCR ---> VHS VCR,).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 04:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

are you selling any w/s video? I'm trying to figure out a way to get videos off my computer that I've made out to VHS tape in Vegas 4. I have a dv852 w/s-video and I think the audio goes through this small minijack. Not composite.

How do your SVHS tapes compare with VHS tapes all else being equal?
Old September 17th, 2003, 06:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Frank, perhaps you can clarify something for me. I know S-video ports are helpful in making regular VHS dupes, and I use them for the purpose in connecting camcorder to VCR (and vice versa), but I've never noticed whether or not they are only available on S-VHS-capable decks. Is that the case?

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 09:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

S-Video ports and S-VHS are two completely different things. S-Video (also known as Y-C) is a better way of moving a video signal between devices, S-VHS is a higher-than-VHS-resolution format usually on S-VHS tapes, but can be done on better quality VHS tapes. Tapes in S-VHS format can NOT be read on Normal VHS decks.

HOWEVER, it just so happens that the better S-VHS desks have at least a S-Video OUT port and the really good decks also have S-Video IN.
And in fact, I have never seen a S-Video port on a Normal Consumer VHS deck.

I use a JVC 5901 S-VHS deck, but I never record in S-VHS. I got it so that I can use the S-Video IN to make better VHS tapes, and it does. Now, admittidly the S-VHS tapes are fantastic quality, but I only want to make REALLY good VHS tapes for my clients.
Old September 20th, 2003, 10:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Some VHS VCRs can read SVHS tapes. One VCR I tried a SVHS tape on gave these white flecks.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 07:10 AM   #9
Wrangler

S-VHS decks are getting cheaper. I got a Mitsubishi HS-U747 a couple years ago for somewhere around $200 IIRC. It has s-video in and out. I do what Michael does however and mostly just use it for making VHS tapes. I hook it up to my camcorder through the s-video port and use firewire to send DV to the camcorder. But I have also connected it to the s-vhs port on my graphics card. In my case I've found that the camcorder (VX-2000) output looks a bit better, but the graphics card has the advantage of being able to tweak the image and do things like showing the full frame or letterboxing 16:9.

But VHS only offers something like 300 lines of horizontal resolution and it's alway a bit disappointing after having looked at the original DV image.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 09:55 AM   #10
Warden

The limit on VHS is about 240 to 260 at the very best. I doubt most consumer decks get above 220 lines. These specs are for SP (LP, EP would be much lower). Glen made reference to VHS decks that can play back S-VHS, they're called Quasi-SVHS. Their circuitry is changed to allow the higher band width S-VHS to playback. Standard VHS decks can not play back the higher band width (frequencies) S-VHS tapes can the screen displays blown out highlights.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 09:57 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I was in this situation recently and bought a JVC HRS-5911 from B&H. It was really cheap at $134.95. It appears to be exactly the same as the HRS-5902, which B&H is selling for $229.95, except the HRS-5911 is silver. Didn't have much time to play with it, because the Great Northeast Blackout fried it! It seemed to record a pretty good image before it died though.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 01:11 PM   #12
Outer Circle

David, I usually make masters in S-video and from that I record onto VHS. But most of my old masters are still on VHS, directly from the cam. So I also still copy VHS top VHS, and the results are still okay. Of course I keep the original edited/dubbed footage on miniDV. I also convert to PAL often, but sometimes just shot in PAL. Yes, I sell them. For PAL, I use the AIWA 100MX VCRs.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion