Online Film School at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 19th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #1
Tourist

Online Film School

I recently got a XH A1 and I am starting to do video production for the company I work for and I would like to learn as much as possible about all aspects of video production. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with any online film schools.

Has anyone here heard of anything good/bad about Lights Film School? Film School: Online Filmmaking Course

Any suggestions or recommendations you have would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

BTW, I've learned more so far in these forums than I have anywhere else.
Will Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Trustee

I don't know anything about the website you link. However, if you know nothing about the production process and need a basic overview, it appears this little course could be of help. The cost is not out of line as things go.

There are also books, etc., but when beginning to learn about a new subject, it is helpful to work with someone who guides (prods) you and sets goals.

There are many ways to learn, and ultimately only experience will take you forward, but beginning with a good, guided and structured program can be very helpful, even if it does little more than introduce you to the things you are going to need to learn.

My initial take on the website you link is that the people are honest and will give you some basics to get you started... but who knows for sure.

Last edited by Jack Walker; March 20th, 2009 at 09:57 AM.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #3
Tourist

Jack, thank you very much for your reply. I went ahead and signed up, so we'll see how it goes.
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Wood View Post
Jack, thank you very much for your reply. I went ahead and signed up, so we'll see how it goes.
Very good. Let us know how it works out.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Will,

I read through their website and signed up as well. Looks like we'll be classmates!

There were some problems that were solely a result of my error, but the response time was extremely quick. I even received a message about how they would take care of one problem (that I had caused!) before I had a chance to get in touch with them -- literally a couple of minutes.

I've been extremely impressed with the personal and professional attention I have received so far and am excited about what lies ahead.

I have a trip to the Amazon basin planned in 3 months and have notions of creating a documentary about life among the river people and the city poor there. (I've been quite a few times in the past and have connections, but it will be a first-time, bare bones deal all the way.) While I feel a bit lost in my preparation, I hope to gain enough to make this a worthwhile project.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Trustee

Look into the video challenges hosted on this site. The (semi)regular dvinfo challenge has been described as like "free film school" by many of the participants, and a "signup" thread for the current one starting April 2nd is already active.

See the DVC16 Sign Up Thread here:

The DV Challenge (our semi-regular contest) - The Digital Video Information Network

We "sign up" not knowing what the theme will be (thence one aspect of "challenge"), on Apr 2nd the theme is announced and this time we have a full month to script, shoot, edit, and submit. This time the allotted length will be 5 minutes (often it's only 3) and everyone seems to have a lot of fun with it. Participants do the judging, just cannot vote for our own submissions, and we open up a feedback thread where helpful critiques are posted.

Everyone who participates regularly has seen their work improve, often dramatically, and of course we also learn by seeing what others have done.

Check it out.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:17 AM   #7
Major Player

I am thinking about taking this course also. Has anyone started yet?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:59 AM   #8
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Murray View Post
Will,

I read through their website and signed up as well. Looks like we'll be classmates!

There were some problems that were solely a result of my error, but the response time was extremely quick. I even received a message about how they would take care of one problem (that I had caused!) before I had a chance to get in touch with them -- literally a couple of minutes.

I've been extremely impressed with the personal and professional attention I have received so far and am excited about what lies ahead.

I have a trip to the Amazon basin planned in 3 months and have notions of creating a documentary about life among the river people and the city poor there. (I've been quite a few times in the past and have connections, but it will be a first-time, bare bones deal all the way.) While I feel a bit lost in my preparation, I hope to gain enough to make this a worthwhile project.
Phil,

Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad you signed up. I agree that they are very professional and prompt with correspondence. The lessons seem thorough and I feel this will be well worth the small entry fee. I look forward to being an alumni. See you the reunion!

Bruce,

That looks awesome, thank you very much for sharing that with me. Once I get a little more experience, I will definitely want to do that.
Old July 4th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #9
New Boot

One year later, how is "Lights Film School"?

Howdy,

To bring this thread back from the grave, I was just hoping that Phil Murray or Will Wood could drop in and update us on their "Lights Film School" experiences.
Did you go through any courses? Did you find them valuable? Would you do it again?

Alternately, has anyone enrolled or participated in the "Online Film School" (sometimes calling itself the "Alternate New York Film School")? Same questions - did you find it valuable? Would you do it again?

Hoping for a bit more o' tha "wisdom of the crowd" before committing one way or the other.

Thanks,
BJ
B.J. Szabicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

will like to know how the school is performing too
Olakunle Olanrewaju is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion