DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   TRV38 or TRV70? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/14642-trv38-trv70.html)

Danny Foster September 17th, 2003 09:53 AM

TRV38 or TRV70?

I'm looking for advice on the purchase of a 1 CCD camera. I'm going to work in East Africa for the next several years and have a limited budget. I'm editing with a powerbook G4 and FCP3. I'm not a high end user - just the average joe who wants to capture some cool moments and stream it from his site or send back some DVD's.
I've decided on 1 CCD because 3 CCD is out of my budget (about $1000). After a ton of research I find myself going in circles so I thought I'd register here and ask the experts. My research has led me to the Sony Products. They seem to be the most popular among the 1 CCD users and I even discovered Sony service centers in Kenya (mind you warranties aren't global as I've learned right from the horse's mouth).
To not seem like I expect others to do all the work, I've narrowed it down to the TRV38 and the TRV70! (Of course I'm open to other suggestions though.) I'm just wondering if the extra $$$ for the 70 is only for the still camera or if it really is worth it for the 530 lines vs. 520 and whatever else might give the 70 a better quality image. I have a good digital still so I don't want to buy another one!
Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks

Norm Couture September 17th, 2003 12:21 PM

Danny,

From the SonyStyle.com comparison page, you can see that the major differences between the TRV38 and the TRV70 are:

1. The 70 has a bigger lens (37mm filter thread vs 30mm) and a 30% bigger CCD (1/3.6 vs 1/4.7in.) It not only helps in getting a sharper picture, but may also help low-light performance.

2. The 70 is networking capable via USB, the 38 is not. In your case, it might be useful for sending stuff over the Net.

Other differences include: 2Megapixel stills and built-in pop up flash on the TRV70, if you intend to use it for taking stills.

Personnally, I would enjoy the slight advantage in resolution of the TRV70, if I could afford it.

P.S. Have you looked at the Panasonic NV-GS70...

Danny Foster September 18th, 2003 08:34 AM

This is incredible! Thanks Norm, I had no clue that you could get a 3ccd camera in this price range. Why would anyone bother paying for a 1ccd camera with this being available? Are there any good solid reviews on this?

Danny

Shawn Mielke September 18th, 2003 12:41 PM

Then there's the Pana dv953 for a bit more.......$1200?

Norm Couture September 18th, 2003 02:32 PM

Here's a review of the Panny NV-GS70:

http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/panasonic/pv_gs70-review/index.shtml

One thing: it's a 3 CCD, but they're 1/6 in. CCDs.
I wonder how they do in low light?

Frank Granovski September 18th, 2003 02:44 PM

The TRV38 and TRV70 are just a tiny bit better with low light than the PV-DV953. So if you're after a new model cam that's basically good in "lower light," you won't find any, unless you go with spending more money on a VX2000 or GL2. Some of the slightly older cams were good, however: Optura 100MC, PV-DV852. The new GS100 seems to be pretty good also (with lower light), but won't be available in North America until sometime in the late spring or early summer.

Norm Couture September 19th, 2003 11:59 AM

... and now Canon joins in with its new Optura Xi.
Very interesting!

Check this out :

http://www.simplydv.co.uk/Reviews/canon_mvx31.html

Danny Foster September 19th, 2003 12:25 PM

This is all amazing advice but a little overwhelming! I'm glad I have until December to make my decision! I have to admit though - the trv38 sure seems to be a lot of bang for not much buck.

It seems completely to my advantage though to wait just a couple more months before doing anything since some higher end consumer cameras are emerging pretty fast. Who know's, maybe I can catch a sale at Christmas!

On the other hand - I noticed that one can buy a GL2 for $1689 at www.us1camera.com! Sounds to good to be true!

Danny

Frank Granovski September 19th, 2003 02:57 PM

From some Japanese reviews and hands on testing from our member, Allan (who lives in Japan), the new Optura Xi is an amazing 1 chip cam. However, it suffers from low light, though better than the Sony PC300, which has even a larger CCD.

I may just buy an Optura Xi when they come out in Vancouver.

Danny Foster September 19th, 2003 03:01 PM

I live in Abbotsford and just spoke to Lens and Shutter in town here. They quoted me $1999 CAD on the Optura Xi but had nothing in stock.

I would certainly consider it from what I've read so far even though, it's a little more.

Danny

Frank Granovski September 19th, 2003 04:06 PM

They started selling the Xi in the US, from what I hear, but they are not out yet here in Canada.