DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   tape reloading is killing me (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/146873-tape-reloading-killing-me.html)

Juni Zhao March 29th, 2009 08:06 AM

tape reloading is killing me

One hour continuous recording time is not enough for many live shootings. I know I can get a clip-on hard drive friewire recorder, but $2000 for a 80gb, half the money of my A1??? Do you guys know any cheaper hard drive recorder? I am fine with used ones, anything under $600? Thanks

Bill Koehler March 29th, 2009 08:29 AM

Sounds like you're in the market for one of these:

HVR-MRC1K | B&H Photo Video

That's the closest I know of to your $600 (used) price point.
Of course, this is new.

If you do a search on this website you will find a lot of discussion about this unit.
If you want a look at the manual for this unit, go here:

Sony Product Detail Page - HVRMRC1K

and click on the 'Downloads' tab.

Juni Zhao March 29th, 2009 09:10 AM

Thanks so much... But this unit takes up to 16 GB flash card, still cant do 4-5 hour continuous shooting without reloading the card. So I think HDD 80GB+ would be ideal. Unfortunately its just beyond my affordability....

John Estcourt March 29th, 2009 09:16 AM

Why not capture to a laptop Pc if you are going to be static, I often capture to a pc for over 10 hrs continuous ( well nearly continuous )
My cheap tower unit is great for this.

Adam Gold March 29th, 2009 11:06 AM

This seems like an intriguing solution. With laptop prices as low as they are, it seems a basic laptop that could do this (if you didn't need to be moving around) could be had to do this for less than the on-cam recorders.

But also check out the Firestores, which I think can be had for around $750.

Edit: The one I was thinking of has been discontinued; here's its replacement, about $900:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...table_DTE.html

Juni Zhao March 29th, 2009 02:13 PM

well, not all shooting conditions are ideal, sometimes can't even find an AC plug like an open field, and sometimes nowhere to place a computer like a small theater..... a 4-5 hour battery powered clip-on drive is always my first choice... so i'll just keep searching for an affordable used one.... If you happened to see one under $600 please let me know....thanks

Harold Schreiber March 29th, 2009 05:35 PM

Hi Juni,

May I ask what you're taping that lasts so long ??

Do you need to record in HD, or would SD be good enough ??

How often do you record without AC available ?

Harold

Brian Drysdale April 1st, 2009 07:37 AM

I must admit I haven't shot anything which doesn't have natural breaks or speakers padding things out with verbage that can hit the cutting room floor without any problem.

The only event that can I think which has that truly has point by point significance over long sustained periods would be a court case. The rest tend to be things that get recorded, but are never seen again in their totality. People may want every moment through the day continuously recorded, but do they ever watch the material all the way through?

Andy Tejral April 1st, 2009 07:40 AM

Look at the Firestores on the Videoguys website. I already deleted the email but they had some refurbished models that might be just the thing for you.

Jack Walker April 2nd, 2009 02:17 PM

Here's a refurbished Citidisk 80 GB drive for $649.00:
ProCon | CitiDISK HD External Video Capture Device | CDHD80

I haven't used these, but I know I've read other people have.

There are other Citidisk products at B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

Juni Zhao April 3rd, 2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Schreiber (Post 1035596)
Hi Juni,

May I ask what you're taping that lasts so long ??

Do you need to record in HD, or would SD be good enough ??

How often do you record without AC available ?

Harold

It may not be too long, but longer than the one hour tape, sometimes its continuous like speech. Sometimes I get AC sometimes don't. Like last time I shot a show, I told the storyteller to pause for 10 sec in the middle so I could reload the tape, but he forgot, it wasn't totally my fault, but feel like very unprofessional.

Juni Zhao April 3rd, 2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker (Post 1043635)
Here's a refurbished Citidisk 80 GB drive for $649.00:
ProCon | CitiDISK HD External Video Capture Device | CDHD80

I haven't used these, but I know I've read other people have.

There are other Citidisk products at B&H:
citidisk | B&H Photo Video

Thanks a lot, this refurbished one looks interesting......

Harold Schreiber April 3rd, 2009 07:44 AM

Hi Juni,

I've done all-day shoots, so lots of ways to set up for them.

Sounds like you can get buy either using the longer tapes, or by using the Cam's slower recording speed. I've done both, with excellent results.

For the longer tapes, I use the Panasonic DVC Professional ME - DVM80's. (AY-DVM80XJ )

Gives 80 mins at SP, and 120 mins at LP.

Harold

John Stakes April 3rd, 2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juni Zhao (Post 1035420)
Thanks so much... But this unit takes up to 16 GB flash card, still cant do 4-5 hour continuous shooting...

One of the reviewers mentioned using this with a 32GB card. Just an FYI.

JS

Juni Zhao April 7th, 2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Schreiber (Post 1045998)
Hi Juni,

I've done all-day shoots, so lots of ways to set up for them.

Sounds like you can get buy either using the longer tapes, or by using the Cam's slower recording speed. I've done both, with excellent results.

For the longer tapes, I use the Panasonic DVC Professional ME - DVM80's. (AY-DVM80XJ )

Gives 80 mins at SP, and 120 mins at LP.

Harold

Harold,

I heard that any DV tape longer than 60 min is not stable, especially for HDV shooting, more dropouts, have you experienced that?